Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Tablet PC? Mature techy(ish) student teacher for taking lecture notes

Options
  • 16-09-2007 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I'm about to commence studying the Hibernia College H Dip in Arts and Primary Education.

I have a budget of €1500/€1700 to include MS Office and am seriously considering buying a tablet PC rather than a laptop. The obvious benefit is that I could write my lecture notes directly into the computer.

I'm looking for advise on:

1. Am I being realistic
    2. If so, which Tablet PC should it be?

Obvious choices are:

HP
    Toshiba
    Fujitsu-Siemens

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

RugbyFan wrote:
    The obvious benefit is that I could write my lecture notes directly into the computer.

Have you ever actually used one? The hand-writing recognition takes a lot of getting used to.

Personally, I think you should consider a standard laptop if you are a fast typer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I had a loan one for a couple of days and it drove me mad. The idea of taking lecture notes on it is fanciful if my experience is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I would stil IBM/Lenovo on the short list, had a chance to look at one of their tablet laptops and quite liked it, I found that all their bundled software was useful and none of it rubbish like Dells usual tripe. Worth a look at their range, can be pricey tho'.
    I think you would like a tablet laptop and hey you can still use it as a normal one aswell...even if your not mad keen on the transcribing part of it.

majiktripp wrote:
    I would stil IBM/Lenovo on the short list, had a chance to look at one of their tablet laptops and quite liked it, I found that all their bundled software was useful and none of it rubbish like Dells usual tripe. Worth a look at their range, can be pricey tho'.
    I think you would like a tablet laptop and hey you can still use it as a normal one aswell...even if your not mad keen on the transcribing part of it.

I'd definitely agree on the IBM/Lenovo option. As a long term Toshiba fan I was amazed at the quakity of the IBMs. It was an IBM Tablet that I tried and didn't like but I still bought a Thinkpad. They're definitely at the upper end of the price range though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 RugbyFan

Thanks for your advice.

Tom - never thought of actually typing into the laptop at a lecture - 12 years since I was in college - I take it from what you're saying people do that these days! My typing speed is alright. Would typing noise be distracting to those around? I'm not a gamer so a regular laptop would certainly help the pocket.

Others - my dream choice would certainly be Lenovo - tried one once, a couple of years ago and it was superb, managed to read my scrawl first time and didn't need to much pressure - a problem with the HP budget end I believe.

Would be delighted to hear more thoughts on the matter.

• Advertisement

RugbyFan wrote:
    Thanks for your advice.

Tom - never thought of actually typing into the laptop at a lecture - 12 years since I was in college - I take it from what you're saying people do that these days!

Actually, now that you mention it, nobody uses a laptop in any of my classes. But having said that, I wouldn't have a problem with it and I doubt the students would either.

Another vote for the Thinkpad. Typing this on one at the moment. Though I haven't used their Tablet PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

I'm also thinking about replacing my laptop with a tablet pc. Alot of my lecture notes have to be printed out and filled in lectures. I nearly aways forget my notes and i hate carrying hundreds of pages of notes on top of my laptop as well.
    Friend last year had a tablet he converted the pdf into powerpoint presentations and wrote directly on to the notes with his own handwriting. Drawing diagrams highlighting text all like you would do on the normal paper notes.
    Plus he had all the notes with him from all the lectures all the time and didnt have to go through the hassle of printing them out.
    I'd say go for it
    as for which one id say look a www.laptopsdirect.ie which have a good selection

Beno wrote:
    as for which one id say look a www.laptopsdirect.ie which have a good selection

I'll repeat my usual warnings about this crowd - do a search on this forum before dealing with them. I personally wouldn't recommend them any more. Too many horror stories and too many underhand tactics by them on this very forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,028 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

my friend has a ibm/lenovo tablet/laptop, never heard her complain about it. Got one of the ibm x series standard laptops 2 weeks ago and really love how light it is plus it has great battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Whatever you get, always opt for the higher capacity battery. Its the difference between 2/3 hours and 7 hours +

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,028 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Saruman wrote:
    Whatever you get, always opt for the higher capacity battery. Its the difference between 2/3 hours and 7 hours +

I don't know... this can add a lot of weight(and sometimes size) to a laptop. Do agree that you look carefully at what battery youre getting and will the battery life be good enough for you, but also factor in what weight it's going to add, at least with smaller battery, worst case you can just pick up a second battery if you want more running time

Hi,

Thanks again for all the advice.

Microsoft have a page dedicated to why students should have Tablet PCs!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/evaluation/bymarket/education/toptenbenefits.mspx

Regarding hardware vendor sites I have found that HP, Acer and Toshiba ones are quite helpful, Lenovo's is reasonably helpful but its link to find local resellers has timed out on three different PCs I've tried (incl a Lenovo one :) ). Fujistu-Siemens site gives very little info, and no price info at all.

I'll definitely go for a larger battery - whether I end up with a Tablet or not.

Tom - The main benefit of the Tablet in lectures as I see it is that if the lecturer does a drawing/diagram then it is possible to recreate that in a tablet but not on a laptop.

Still interested in hearing more thoughts!

Thanks

RugbyFan wrote:
    Microsoft have a page dedicated to why students should have Tablet PCs!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/evaluation/bymarket/education/toptenbenefits.mspx

Repeat after me PROPAGANDA.

Or Marketing. Or sales pitch. Etc.

tom dunne wrote:
    Repeat after me PROPAGANDA.

PROPAGANDA :)

Okay - I've been on a US Tablet focused board and it seems much more common for students to use Tablets in the US. They seem to love the Lenovo X61 too - might have to stretch the budget!

Hi,

There is a student deal going for this Laptop:

Lenovo Thinkpad X61
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2GHz
    1GB
    80GB
    12.1" XGA
    Wireless
    Bluetooth
    Fingerprint Reader
    3 Year Nextbusiness Day On Site warranty
    From 1.3 Kg in weight
    XP Pro
    Backpack & 2GB USB memory Key

€1055 inc VAT plus delivery.

I was looking at using this http://www.pegatech.com/?CategoryID=158&ArticleID=142 if I wanted to take handwritten notes and then transfer them into the PC afterwards. I tried one of these pens at CeBIT last year and it worked great. A lot cheaper than most tablet options in Ireland. Apparently the Vista version is due out on 8 October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

RugbyFan wrote:
    Hi,

Lenovo Thinkpad X61
    1GB
    80GB
    12.1" XGA
    Wireless
    Bluetooth
    Fingerprint Reader
    From 1.3 Kg in weight
    XP Pro

where is this available?

RugbyFan wrote:
    Hi,

Lenovo Thinkpad X61
    1GB
    80GB
    12.1" XGA
    Wireless
    Bluetooth
    Fingerprint Reader
    From 1.3 Kg in weight
    XP Pro

I was looking at using this http://www.pegatech.com/?CategoryID=158&ArticleID=142 if I wanted to take handwritten notes and then transfer them into the PC afterwards. I tried one of these pens at CeBIT last year and it worked great. A lot cheaper than most tablet options in Ireland. Apparently the Vista version is due out on 8 October.

If you can get a Thinkpad x61 for that price grab it with both hands. It's a lovely piece of kit. One thing - it doesn't have an optical drive. The Lenovo external one is expensive (but very neat) so you need to factor in the extra cost.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply to your query.

This is a student offer from Lenovo. Their partners on the deal are DSS (www.decision.ie).

The deal is available on www.cxcommerce.com and the login is: student and the password is also: student.

I am purchasing this with 2GB RAM (€120 + VAT extra) and with an additional 8 cell battery (€150 + VAT extra). I have also asked for a Vista version instead of XP as I hope to get the best out of my new digiscribble pen (see www.apcom.ltd.uk) so my total cost is €1433 inc VAT & delivery (€15).

You can purchase the standard spec online or contact John Murphy in DSS for upgrades.

Advertisement