Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September

Options
  • 16-09-2007 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering when was the last time we had snowfall in September?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I could be proven wrong but I doubt Ireland has ever seen snow in September. Maybe late October/early November at the very earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I'm dunno, i suppose it could be possible with perfect conditions at the end of September...or could have been. Northern mountains maybe? I doubt it's that rare for the scottish mountains to have snow in September. There was snow in the wicklow mountains on the 22nd of October 2003, thats probably the earliest in recent times. By we do you meen anywhere in Ireland, or a widespread event? I'd say it's probably happened before, if only on the very tops of mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well looking at the stats for Dublin airport:

http://www.met.ie/climate/dublinairport.asp

Snow/Sleet has not occurred in Ireland in September in the last 30 years. Snow in October is a 1 in 10 year event.

So the answer to your question is probably circa 8000BC - or the last ice age.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

trogdor wrote:
    I'm dunno, i suppose it could be possible with perfect conditions at the end of September...or could have been. Northern mountains maybe? I doubt it's that rare for the scottish mountains to have snow in September. There was snow in the wicklow mountains on the 22nd of October 2003, thats probably the earliest in recent times. By we do you meen anywhere in Ireland, or a widespread event? I'd say it's probably happened before, if only on the very tops of mountains.

Yeah, anywhere in Ireland. I thought it would have happened at least once or twice since records began.

Advertisement