Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on engagement ring

Options
  • 15-09-2007 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I might have silly questions, but I saw on other posts very valuable advices and hope to get ones as well.

So, I at last decided to make the great step and propose to my future-ex-girlfriend and future-future-wife. I give a great importance to the engagement ring, but my ignorance doesn't help me at all!

My girlfriend is a simple girl, she's not sophisticated at all but, though that's surely my subjective point of view, she has a natural elegance, she has simple taste, but enjoys a lot simple things. For a bit the same reasons, she doesn't like "expensive" things, or at least things that look like. More concretely, she has small hands and very slender fingers. I hope that gives a useful painting of the "situation".

After a small research (including in these forums), I concluded for a yellow golden ring, with a solitaire diamond. I also want the diamond not to be excessively apparent. The problems are that I am not sure that's the "right" decision and that it's not easy to concretely find what I am thinking of.

One thing that could correspond to my thinkings is this one:

http://www.keanes.ie/index.cfm/page/products/catId/46/id/30

What's your opinion on it? Does the price seem correct? Is this shop (at Cork) a good one? Any advice on good shops at Cork?

Thank you very much for your help, and sorry for this lengthy post.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm going to be a bit lazy here and ask you to read my post here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54023916&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Thank you for your answer, but unfortunately that was not what I was looking for.

I know that my girlfriend has a very specific idea since she was 3, that's that I propose her with a ring that she likes and as a surprise. That's the surest thing I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Keanes is one of the most reputable jewellers in Cork.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the whether the price seems correct.

I like the ring though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I know that it'd be nice to have the ring to propose with, but my advice would be to bring her with you. The ring you've linked to is very nice, but it's a very definite, modern design which she'll either love or hate. If you do go the surprise route, then for that ring you'll need to make sure you have her finger size right; IME, tension settings don't size well.

Keanes reputation is top notch, and the owner is supposed to be excellent to deal with.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'd be very similiar to your gf. I want my ring (which I keep telling my poor bf so it sticks in his head!) to be elegant and simple and not look too flashy or expensive. I also have very small hands and long slim fingers so I would need it to be a specific kind of ring. The picture who attached is perfect (for me, and I sound similiar enough) I like simple, elegant things and the ring is beautiful! Does she have a friend sister who could ask about the ring and swear them to secrecy? Does she definitely wear gold jewellery. A lot of girls these days would prefer white gold or platinum, but if she already wears gold you should be fine. Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement