Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty laptop

Options
  • 14-09-2007 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi there,

I bought an Apple Macbook just over four weeks (29 days) ago and its turned out to be defective (casing is of poor quality) and I want to get a refund. However, I bought it in 3G, and it says on their receipt that they only do refunds within 14 days and if the item is of resaleable condition. After that its exchanges within the first 28 days. However, I read under the sales of goods and services act 1980 that this is strictly speaking illegal to place these restrctions on consumers

See: http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_retailers.html#yourfault

I assume a time limit applies to this though, to stop people returning an item after 5 years of use!

Can anyone point me in the 'right' direction (sorry bad pun :-p)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In that page you linked to...
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Stores cannot simply say they do not give refunds. Under the Sale of Goods Act, you are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair if a product is not of merchantable quality, fit for its purpose or as described. A retailer cannot take away those rights.
    ...and as it's past the 14 days, a repair or replacement is what you'll need doing. Oh, and what do you mean by "[/FONT]casing is of poor quality"? If it's cracked, and they think it's caused by you, you may be charged to fix it. If it is broken, it's doubtfull that they'll refund you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bumblebeeman

No i didnt crack it. I meant the finish is warping on the bottom bezel of the laptop as if from excessive heat. for a 1300 euro laptop thats completely unacceptable - at all, let alone after four weeks.

OK. Excessive warping is usually covered under warranties.

Were you using it on a bed(soft surface), or on a desk(hard surface)?

Also, is there any sign, apart from the warping, that it was caused by heat?

I ask as a)due to the excessive heat notebooks cause these days, if the fan is blocked, this sometimes happens, and b) you'd be surprised at how many notebooks I see that come in, only to have external burn marks on them. I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just seeing what your chances are.

No there is no sign of warping otherwise. it was on a desk, there were no obstruction to air vents. it is a core 2 duo machine and the macbook line have a history of heat problems due to excessive application of thermal paste on CPU dies.

No there is no sign of warping otherwise. it was on a desk, there were no obstruction to air vents. it is a core 2 duo machine and the macbook line have a history of heat problems due to excessive application of thermal paste on CPU dies.
    You may get a replacement, or maybe a refund, but I'd say a replacement.

The refund they list on their reciept, means that they'll refund it if they can resell it, or replace it if within the 28 days.

My advice: go tomorrow, as most places are 28 days, give or take a day, if it's a known problem.

• Advertisement

It says in the Sales of Goods and services act that I am entitled to a refund if the item is not fit for its purpose. When does that stop applying? You see I've been in and out of 3G all week - I have been given three different stories by three different stores. I was told in Henry street to just bring it in and they would exchange it no problem. So I brought it and was told they can't do it....

I went into the one in the iLac centre and was told they didnt have any in stock there. So i went to the one around the corner from me where I bought it, and they told me on wednesday they would have it today. Which they didnt and Im just about fed up of being fecked around at this point. So im wondering when "unfit for purpose" turns into "wear and tear"

It says in the Sales of Goods and services act that I am entitled to a refund if the item is not fit for its purpose. When does that stop applying?

Which they didnt and Im just about fed up of being fecked around at this point. So im wondering when "unfit for purpose" turns into "wear and tear"
    A sledge-hammer which couldn't break concrete is not fit for it's purpose.

A notebook that warps itself... I'm not sure. Once there is no external damage (you'd laugh at how many "perfect" notebooks I've seen which are covered with cigerette burns), you should be covered.

I'm just wondering why you're f**king with the stores. When you go in next, you'll be told it's beyond the 28 days, and that they can send it in for a service.

Ring Apple on 1850 946 191 (http://www.apple.com/uk/support/contact/), and go through them. Before you ring them, make a list of when and where (and, if possible, who you talked to) , on a sheet of paper, so when you talk to Apple, you can say you tried to rinf it to the attention of the store within the 28 days, but got fobbed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Your statutory rights only cover you for a refund with 14 days for a fault, that is to say, you have the choice of a refund or replacement within that time. After that, the shop who sold it to you has the choice of a repair, refund or a replacement, at their discretion. 3G is still responsible for it, even though Apple will fix it.

Hi all

Sadly Im back here to report my new laptop is exhbiting signs of the same problem I was having, which is frankly ridiculous. I want to just bring it back as Im afraid Ill be stuck in this replace return cycle. Any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Well if its within the 14 days this time surely if you bring it back straight away and explain this is your second go and you want your money back? if something is faulty you should be entitled to your money back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement