Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux keeps man from receiving warranty repairs

Options
  • 14-09-2007 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

London, England - A British company called PC World has denied a repair request on a physical case defect for an Acer notebook only because it had Linux installed on it. The owner is currently seeking legal advice and has contacted a local CAB (citizen’s advice bureau) to make sure PC World is not acting improperly. His notebook remains unrepaired.

Read more here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Linux-...ews-26323.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

London, England - A British company called PC World has denied a repair request on a physical case defect for an Acer notebook only because it had Linux installed on it. The owner is currently seeking legal advice and has contacted a local CAB (citizen’s advice bureau) to make sure PC World is not acting improperly. His notebook remains unrepaired.

Read more here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Linux-...ews-26323.html
    `
    Link doesn't work?

[edit]

Correct link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TheGrinch50

MOH wrote:
    `
    Link doesn't work?

[edit]

Correct link

It was there this morning. I guess PC World got wind of it and had it removed. Sorry, it was very interesting. I will see if I can find another link to it.

Below is the full text:

Categories:
    Consumer Electronics
    Linux keeps man from receiving warranty repairs 03:07 - Thursday 13 September 2007 by Rick C. Hodgin
    Source: Tom's Hardware UK – Keywords: Linux, warranty
    Categories: Consumer Electronics

When 25-yr old Morris took his five month old notebook back to the same retail store he bought it from for warranty repairs, he expected it to be fixed promptly. Purchased with cash on March 29, the notebook came with the standard one-year manufacturer’s warranty which included hardware. The notebook is an Acer Aspire 9301AWSMi with a 17" display and is powered by a single-core AMD Turion processor. It originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium installed, though he’s now installed Sabayon/Gentoo.

He was having a problem with the screen’s left hinge. It was broken internally and a small crack has formed in the case. He owned a similar notebook previously with the same problem. The defect caused the crack to grow to the point where it eventually caused his notebook to completely fail. Morris believes this crack will also spread, causing the machine to eventually fail.

When two PC World technicians looked at his machine they agreed the hinge was broken and needed repair. In fact, they even told Morris this hinge problem is a very common issue with notebooks. He then expected them to take the unit away and repair it. But that’s not what happened.

They told him it couldn’t be repaired because it had Linux on it. Linux installations are not covered by warranty requests. He was told in no uncertain terms that Linux was the exact reason he would not be receiving any warranty service. He was told this by two separate technicians and, after being denied and asking to speak the manager, the notebook still remains unrepaired.

This story was originally posted yesterday and has already sent shock-waves across the Internet. The idea that a known hardware defect could not be repaired because of an owners choice to install an alternate OS is really something. Especially when Morris tells Tom’s Hardware he was not informed at the time of sale that installing an alternate OS would void the warranty.

A follow-up post was made today by Morris indicating he’s received countless emails offering advice and support on how best to proceed. He informed Tom’s Hardware that although he’s currently unemployed, he is in the process of seeking legal advice. He’s also contacted a local citizen’s action bureau but has not received a response yet.

The owner’s position is really very simple. Hardware failures, and specifically those which are known to be common like hinge problems, should not be denied because of any software installed. And especially so when that software would have no bearing on the defect manifesting itself through normal use. Linux did not contribute to this problem as it would’ve also happened if any OS was installed. And yet, PC world is denying warranty service for that reason.

It had been suggested to him that he temporarily re-install Vista to get the machine repaired, then go back to Linux. However, he informed Tom’s Hardware that it’s now been logged in their system that he has Linux installed. As such, his warranty options are gone.

The two PC World technicians who helped Morris agreed that the Linux policy was unbelievable. They even laughed about it in a sort of "we’re with you, man. Nothing personal, it’s just policy, you know" type of way. And yet Morris now sits with a notebook continuing to grow worse through normal use. It may eventually fail as his previous notebook did. And if it does, based on PC World’s Linux policy, he’ll be left out in the cold with only a broken notebook and bad memories of PC World to comfort him.

Morris has promised to keep Tom’s Hardware posted for any relevant developments. PC World is a sister company with Currys and other UK based retailers out of London.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Riciculous. Shows what an incompetent shower PC World are. At the very best they are a bunch of clueless bureaucrats, at worst they are in cahoots with Microsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

PC WORLD seem to have backed down on this
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/124797/official-linux-doesnt-break-laptops.html

they will fix it HOWEVER "His carefully nurtured system will have to be erased and restored to its original Windows state for the repair to take place. "I have put a lot of time into setting up this laptop, and to be told it will be erased sucks a bit too. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that I would prefer that, than a broken hinge though," he adds."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Go team pc world, there complete muppets
    This lad has good case

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

cornbb wrote:
    Riciculous. Shows what an incompetent shower PC World are. At the very best they are a bunch of clueless bureaucrats, at worst they are in cahoots with Microsoft.
    I don't like PC World (I think they are a bunch of muppets but hey) but honestly I can easily see why.

Here is the reason:
    1) They will most likely change the whole laptop instead of repairing it. If something goes missing (the hdd gets fried or what ever else might go wrong) who will the customer complain to and sue? Compare this to saying we're only going to promise to deliver the PC in the state as when bought (as this means they can take a brand new laptop and don't bother to change hdds etc.). Also means that if they decide to boot up the system to check all works after the hdd check they will have a harder time.
    2) If some changes needs to be tested (in general mind you) they can't do it neither can they do truobleshooting as required before sending it of for repairs with acer (or risk footing the bill themselves).
    3) Setting precedent that people can install what ever they feel like and expect to get support on it (dos 5.10? Np!)
    4) The customer honestly is a bit of a muppet, how hard is it to back up your system and restore if you're used to linux and hand it in then with a recovery disk set up (as in the guy will most likely have some coop on to playing around with linux in the first place) and get it fixed?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

imho the consumer is not being a muppet, the problem is a PHYSICAL fault, he shouldn't have to trash his Linux install to get the casing of his laptop fixed as the casing has feck all to do with the operating system running on the laptop.

In fairness, who says he's playibng with Linux?
    Many people don't like using Windows and instead prefer to use other operating systems that better suit there requirments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Dual boot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Cabaal wrote:
    imho the consumer is not being a muppet, the problem is a PHYSICAL fault, he shouldn't have to trash his Linux install to get the casing of his laptop fixed as the casing has feck all to do with the operating system running on the laptop.
    If they are replacing the whole unit (which is more or less standard operation due to the laptops are not made to be moved around in general) it would clearly be a problem. Add in the fact if they only replace the casing and want to do a boot up to check the status and make sure it can run at full power and maintain the screen or what ever test they want to do.
    In fairness, who says he's playibng with Linux?
    Many people don't like using Windows and instead prefer to use other operating systems that better suit there requirments
    Sorry but people don't go and install Linux for their high amusement and don't know how to use it on a daily basis on a brand new laptop. That is reserved for the PC you made out of spare parts and copper wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Nody wrote:
    )
    4) The customer honestly is a bit of a muppet, how hard is it to back up your system and restore if you're used to linux and hand it in then with a recovery disk set up (as in the guy will most likely have some coop on to playing around with linux in the first place) and get it fixed?

Are you for real? It seems to me that PC World muppets hadn't a clue about Linux so they declined the repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you for real? It seems to me that PC World muppets hadn't a clue about Linux so they declined the repair.

That's what it seems like to me. They wouldn't have known how to get past the boot-up screen

Nody wrote:
    Sorry but people don't go and install Linux for their high amusement and don't know how to use it on a daily basis on a brand new laptop. That is reserved for the PC you made out of spare parts and copper wire.

Wow you just don't have a clue do you?, Linux is as good a operating system as OSX or Windows, and yes people do buy new machines and install Linux instead of Windows.

Of course I must be just completely wrong and I guess everyone wants Windows, but then why would Dell be offering Linux on machines these days?...oh yes demand.

sigh :rolleyes:

Cabaal wrote:
    Wow you just don't have a clue do you?, Linux is as good a operating system as OSX or Windows, and yes people do buy new machines and install Linux instead of Windows.
    No, it's actually superior in many ways but the point was, if you DO buy a brand new machine and installs linux on it you're not going to be someone who's never touched a PC before. Hence since you are not a complete and utter novice with a PC you should be able to do a back up of your system and do a system restore with the windows recover disc.
    Of course I must be just completely wrong and I guess everyone wants Windows, but then why would Dell be offering Linux on machines these days?...oh yes demand.
    Only on their lowest priced PCs to save them the headace of having to send a refund for windows. And Dell would be among your worst examples to pull considering how MS/Intel hardcore they have been over the years (and still are).
    You got it the wrong way around, I was talking about the customer being a slight muppet as he would have PC experience and should have been able to have the PC reinstalled with Windows with out any major hassle. Expecting Linux experience from ANY PC support at that level is ludicrous (they can make more money at higher/other places).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Why doesn't he just remove the HDD anyway. It's a laptop. The HDD would be removable.
    I wouldn't be sending a machine with all my data off to PC World for them to have a browse through.
    If they have half a brain (which they don't seem to) they can just pop in a HDD from another model and confirm it's working OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Cabaal wrote:
    Go team pc world, there complete muppets
    This lad has good case

No he doesn't.

That's why he needs the repair. :D

[sorry, couldn't resist]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Nody wrote:

Thats a bit of a misrepresentation of Linux users. I'm writing this on a modern machine with Ubuntu Studio installed.

If my machine developed a fault say with the HDD (something that required touching my data/OS) then I wouldn't expect any company to support Linux. If I had a straightforward cosmetic/mechanical failure, such as the customer in this case, how would fixing that with Linux installed on the machine be a problem? Its unlikely they would even need to switch the machine on. It just smacks of ignorance on the part of PC World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

While this is plain daft. Its not unusual in my experience, or unreasonable IMO to ask for a product to be reset to its default state when returning it for repair. So he should have done a disk image, restored Windows and then returned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

cornbb wrote:
    TIts unlikely they would even need to switch the machine on. It just smacks of ignorance on the part of PC World.
    First off, I agree this situation is ridiculous.

BUT, when the muppets in PC world repair centre do a repair, I imagine they have various logs to fill in as to the current status of the machine (part of repair policy). This is to prevent the owner coming back the next week and saying "oh, my HD isn't working anymore, and it was fine before the repair". As they are monkeys, anything other than Windows is akin to double dutch to them. I imagine this is why the guy in question has to have his system reset.

Cosmetic fault or not, they have to send the PC back out working again, and turning it on to make sure everything works, along with certain checks are not unreasonable tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cabaal wrote:
    It's as simple as this: if a notebook came into a repair centre, and it gets fixed, they'll need to run some tests on it. Should they have Linux guy to test a machine that only comes with Windows? No. Format, install the original OS, and then test it. If they check their warranty, it'll most likely say that their data is not covered.

It isn't a case of which OS is best, it's a case of the repair centre will test it in Windows, as it comes with Windows, and once it works with Windows, that's all they care out.

=-=

As for the problem, yeah, I've seen it happen. Thse chassis will need to be replaced, nothing else.

=-=

Saying that, I think the Tech Guys (PC Worlds support people) are complete f**king muppets.

Why? Because they won't be fixing it. Acer will be. If the user had done the clever thing, and rang Acer about this, I say they could avoid PC World alltogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

the_syco wrote:
    Saying that, I think the Tech Guys (PC Worlds support people) are complete f**king muppets.
    Saying that, I can't believe a Linux-head would have even set foot in PC-World in the first place.

The whole PC World/Currys/Dixons chain I would not touch with a barge pole. I prefare to support small local eletrical resellers. Sure the price might be a bit more, but it's more because when your washing-machine breaks down you can give Tom down the road a shout, instead of calling a call centre in Bangalore.

The so-called saving you get with that particular chain is a false economy when you consider the stress you'll have to endure when things go wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The so-called saving you get with that particular chain is a false economy when you consider the stress you'll have to endure when things go wrong.

Totally disagree. What cost saving? :D
    Anybody who has an inkling about IT stuff can get nearly anything cheaper than in those shops. I've no clue why people use them. I know they're handy but you're paying a fortune for that handyness.

The point of this is not that it should be restored to default state for PC World to fix it (run tests etc), the problem is the end user was told his warranty is gone because he installed Linux..which is BS
    The store's IT support "Tech Guys" told Tikka that, because Linux had been installed, the machine's warranty had been voided.

so even if he restored back to Windows they still wouldn't fix it for him :)

PC World have now admitted they were in the wrong and will repair it, thus honoring the end users warranty which they previously told him was void

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/13/pc_world_linux/]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Without seeing the warranty you have to guess whats covered or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Gary Glitter also had problems when he took his PC back to PCWorld for repairs, but I don't think it had anything to do with his operating system:eek:

Advertisement