Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heuston to Ballsbridge

Options
  • 14-09-2007 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

If I was to arrive into Heuston Station at 8.10 on a weekday morning, how long should it take to go to the RDS in a taxi? Would I be there by 9am?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

In theory, yes, easily.
    You could also do it on public transport: luas to connolly, dart to Lansdowne road, 5 minute walk.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Thanks for that. I'll take my chances on it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

pinkypinky wrote:
    In theory, yes, easily.
    You could also do it on public transport: luas to connolly, dart to Lansdowne road, 5 minute walk.

Or you could take the 90 bus to Eden Quay and DART ex-Tara Street.

The bus now beats LUAS to O'Connell Bridge every time due to the new continuous bus lane on the North Quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

At that time of morning, there is a god bus service available. If you come out of Heuston onto St.John's Road, you can board the Circle Line bus CL1 or CL2. Both these routes take you directly to Ballsbridge.

There are also a lot of Dublin Bus Xpresso routes which stop here. Most of the 25X, 66X and 67X will take you to Waterloo Road, which is 5 minutes walk from Jury's Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just bear in mind that you may have to queue for a taxi. They can be quite scarce at 8am.

Try to get out of your train fairly quickly as there may be a few dozen other passengers also looking for a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

there was some class of a 46 going from heuston to belfield last year which would have suited but i just checked on dublin bus and it doesn't seem to still operate? does anyone know if it's just a glitch on the site or was the service discontinued?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

dereko1969 wrote:
    there was some class of a 46 going from heuston to belfield last year which would have suited but i just checked on dublin bus and it doesn't seem to still operate? does anyone know if it's just a glitch on the site or was the service discontinued?
    That would be the 46E.

It only goes to Heuston (from Blackrock), outbound journeys do not originate there.

Edit: It does not serve Ballsbridge anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

The mystery 46something is in the timetable as 46A but has 46E on the front. The first one leaves Heuston at 8.40 so it's no good for the OP.

I wouldn't bother with the DART - take a 90 to O'Connell St or 92 to Nassau St and then change to 4 or 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Question: Why should you have to ask this question on boards.ie?

Answer: Neither Irish Rail, nor Bus Eireann nor anyone else provides a proper door to door timetable system online.

Yet another example of Ireland's appalling infrastructural deficit.

Door to door web timetables are available in virtually every other European country - covering all modes of public transport.

Check out a Swiss integrated journey planning system - this one is on the SwissRail website - but covers everything - trains, boats, buses, trams, etc.

Example:

Go to: http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

In the "from" field type Zurich (or any other city you like eg Paris, Frankfurt, Nice, London etc)

In the "to" field type Zurich, Blumenweg which is a particular street in Zurich (separate the city name and street name with a comma)

Click on search connections. (It will ask you which house on Blumenweg you want to go to 12, 14, 16 etc) select one of them

Click on search connections again.

It will then list your connections and options including walking times between station and stop etc.

This is how integrated public transport works in Europe.

Bus Eireann use the same HAFAS software - but only provide town to town info.

The sick CIE state public transport monopoly has multiple totally disintegrated timetable systems on the net - each of which costs you a fortune for them to operate. Instead of using a single platform incorporating the national geodirectory to provide door to door coverage.

Third world incompetence. Made in Ireland.

.probe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

probe wrote:
    Bus Eireann use the same HAFAS software - but only provide town to town info.
    Is that really what the software is called?

It sounds like it was designed specifically for this country. I'm surprised that only Bus Eireann are using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You don't even have to go beyond Britain. The UK national journey planner is very good and i've used it a few times without fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭markpb

It sounds like it was designed specifically for this country. I'm surprised that only Bus Eireann are using it.

You'll be glad to know DB are "considering" putting a journey planner on their website in the next few years. From the sounds of things, they're planning on evaluating a new system instead of asking their sister company, BE, what their software experience is like *rolls eyes*

Oh and you don't even need to go as far as the UK, Northern Ireland has an integrated journey planner for the entire state.

Is that really what the software is called?

Have a look at the code in the html page - search for "hafas" - it is in there.

Their rendering of the interface looks awfully Irish in its incompetence - but it is the exact same system behind Deutsche Bahn's timetable.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?ld=212.201&newrequest=yes&

You can do Irish Rail journey queries on the Deutsche Bahn system - it even shown the Irish train numbers which for some reason Irish Rail does not! IR/IE don't show train numbers on the departure boards in stations either any more (they used to in the past).

.probe

markpb wrote:
    You'll be glad to know DB are "considering" putting a journey planner on their website in the next few years. From the sounds of things, they're planning on evaluating a new system instead of asking their sister company, BE, what their software experience is like *rolls eyes*

Oh and you don't even need to go as far as the UK, Northern Ireland has an integrated journey planner for the entire state.
    There is only one excellent system on the market and it is HAFAS. Virtually all the continental rail*, bus, tram, and regional integrated travel networks use it. There should be one single HAFAS public transport information for all modes of transport in Ireland. Just as there should be integrated ticketing based on zones. Not just for Dublin - for the entire country.

http://www.hacon.de/hacon_e/index.shtml

*www.renfe.es seem to use something else (awful)

Link to some other transport timetable systems using HAFAS on the web:

http://www.hacon.de/hafas_e/www.shtml

They also have timetable software that works with mobile/PDA devices:

http://www.hacon.de/hafas_e/mobil.shtml

and PCs - so you can store the entire timetable on your laptop etc

http://www.hacon.de/hafas_e/win.shtml

And it can print timetable posters for stations and bus stops (something else missing in IRL).

http://www.hacon.de/hafas_e/print.shtml

.probe

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

markpb wrote:

Would that be the Northern Ireland that is apart of the UK? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Apart or a part? :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Possibly childish wishful thinking. :o

Advertisement