Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I'm being scammed.

Options
  • 14-09-2007 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Hello all.
    Ok heres the storey so far, about 3 weeks ago I was given a link for a remote control car up for sale on a forum. This buyer is located in the UK. So I got in touch with him Monday 2 weeks ago, digused everything and did the deal. I sent over £250 or €400 by postal order.
    I emailed him that Friday and asked did he get the money. I heard nothing from him till monday this week and this is what he said:
    hi mate not been at post office yet but as soon as i do i will send it out and send you a email to let you know pal sorry for the delay cheers.

Now since Monday I have sent him about 3 emails and a text message, I've heard nothing so far. I have his address, name, both phone numbers and his email address.
    Lads, am I just being paranoid or what should I do or is there anything I can even do?:(
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ring him ... if everthing so far is in text form then a voice might knock it home. If you sound like a little girl then maybe getting someone who sounds scarey to make the call would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I rang him the day I made the deal, he sounded genuine. I asked him all sorts of questions "whats the engine like" etc and he had an answer.

I'll ring him later and see what the fcuk is happening. He better not pull a quick one or he'll be sorry:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Plug wrote:
    I sent over £250 or €400 by postal order.
    Aside from everything else you were scammed if you paid 400 euro for 250 GBP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bluetonic wrote:

He's properly guessing
    400.00 EUR = 275.484 GBP from xe.com

Bluetonic wrote:
    It was actually £260 and the bank put a €4 charge on it and a postal order costs €5.50.

• Advertisement

I phoned him and it said its the wrong number but i got threw the first day.

Is there anything I can do about this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

ring him on the other number you have or tell him its fine dont post it your getting a cheap flight over and will collect it....

ring him on the other number you have or tell him its fine dont post it your getting a cheap flight over and will collect it....
    I think by now he's just taken the piss. Cheap flight, how much are you talking?
    If the worst came to the worst is there anything that can be done by the law or is it just "thuff sh!t"?
    Cheers.

im not sure about the law or flight prices, i know you can get the ferry for about €25 i think. but maybe it could spook him a little, maybe ring his district police station and ask for advice or if they know him i dont know really

Cheers bud. Your giving me some hope anyway.
    The calling to the front door thing from a ferry sounds good but the police would be more handy.
    What could they do though, would i have to go to my local garda station and suss it out, maybe they would get in contact with the uk police some how.
    Ok that last line, forget it.....
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't know whether a non UK resident is allowed to use the facilities of the UK small claims court, but I see that there is an online facility for claiming monies off someone. I haven't gone into this in any detail, but it's possible that you might put the frighteners on him by the mere mention of taking him to court.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Nice one, i'll have a look and see what I can do.
    I have alot of his details about him. I even know what he drives with an internet search:cool:

i hope you dont have to change the title of your post to "have been....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

ejmaztec wrote:
    I don't know whether a non UK resident is allowed to use the facilities of the UK small claims court, but I see that there is an online facility for claiming monies off someone. I haven't gone into this in any detail, but it's possible that you might put the frighteners on him by the mere mention of taking him to court.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

If it's like the SCC here it's no good if it's a private sale between two individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MOH wrote:
    If it's like the SCC here it's no good if it's a private sale between two individuals.

I know from personal experience that anyone can use the service, whether consumer, retailer or "Plugs":D

It annoyed me when the system was introduced here, when I discovered that private disputes weren't included. They should have gone further and we could all have a go!

We all know that it costs an arm and a leg to go through the courts, so most of the sh1ts get away with doing the dirty.

Well hears the latest and not bad...
    I got through to the wife, she said they collected the money today.
    So I asked her to email me when he gets home.
    Tune in tomorrow for more....

well any update?

Advertisement