Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop Delivery Delay

Options
  • 13-09-2007 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered a Dell laptop at the end of August, and got an estimated delivery date of 14th September. I just got an email from them saying that the delivery date had been revised and was now 9th October.

Has anyone experienced a delay from Dell like this? Normally they're pretty on-the-ball with deliveries...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Due to shortage of parts and whatnot recently Dell have been delivering late.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

Big leadtime problems with monitors and laptop screens at the moment. Also processors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Things have sped up lately, I'd give them a call and check, some people on notebookreviews' forums also got delay notices but then got their laptops sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I called them up. They said that there has been a huge surge in demand lately, and they weren't expecting it. He said it will probably be revised to ship sooner than the quoted date.

I blame these donkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Bastards. Still, I'd say you'll get it a good bit quicker than that, I got mine 2 weeks before the EDD. One evening it was still in pre-production, the next morning it had shipped, and the EDD on the site never changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There is still a significant backlog in Raheen, thanks to a shortage of LCD screens earlier this year and a high demand for laptops. Things may improve when the new assembly plant in Poland opens up later this year - I dunno. I probably shouldn't say any more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

TmB wrote:
    Yeah I called them up. They said that there has been a huge surge in demand lately, and they weren't expecting it. He said it will probably be revised to ship sooner than the quoted date.

I blame these donkeys.

I'd blame students heading to college for the surge...

Also, i ordered my dell about a month ago, the delivery date was for 4 weeks, got it under 2, the estimated delivery date is total worst case, you may be unlucky and have to wait for ages but then again you may not...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

I ordered a Dell Vostro 1500 last Wednesday night (@ about 10pm). I upgraded it to Windows XP, a 1440X900 Screen with True Life and the 7200RPM Hard drive. I also went with the one year warranty.

It arrived at 13:27 this afternoon :)

Its sitting beside me getting formatted as we speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Rael wrote:
    I ordered a Dell Vostro 1500 last Wednesday night (@ about 10pm). I upgraded it to Windows XP, a 1440X900 Screen with True Life and the 7200RPM Hard drive. I also went with the one year warranty.

It arrived at 13:27 this afternoon :)

Its sitting beside me getting formatted as we speak

hmmmm i wonder why its being formatted???? dont you like all that dell sh!te that comes pre-installed?? :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Is the delay only for big screens Laptops???

• Advertisement

Don't think so, but it seems to be certain models. There doesn't seem to a problem getting Vostro laptops out on time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

What is the delivery time for the laptops and for the Desktop units?
    I can not find that in the web site

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Ordered my laptop on the 14th of Aug, EDD Today, got an email saying that it will be delayed until the 6th of november, god damn you dell

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

goose06 wrote:
    Ordered my laptop on the 14th of Aug, EDD Today, got an email saying that it will be delayed until the 6th of november, god damn you dell

Crap, that's really bad.

goose06 wrote:
    Which model was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

inspiron 1520

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

My EDD is the 3rd October for a Desktop XPS 710, seriously hope I'm not waiting that long for it though :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Lads im getting very worried......

I've an EDD of next monday 24th.... Its now friday 21st and its still sitting in pre-production..

Please tell me that they operate over the weekend in Limerick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

they dont..............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I can tell you with absolute certainty that they do in fact operate on weekends.

How do I know this? I worked there for a summer when I was in college, and 12 hour shifts on weekends is not something you forget easily.

I also checked my order status and it went into production as of tonight, a Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

jmccrohan wrote:
    Lads im getting very worried......

I've an EDD of next monday 24th.... Its now friday 21st and its still sitting in pre-production..

Please tell me that they operate over the weekend in Limerick :)

Doesn't matter anyway lads... my vostro 1400 is now back until Oct 17th :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Have they charged your credit card or is it only charged when it has been dispatched?

I'd definitely ring up and complain and see if they'll give you some sort of compensation for the delay, along the lines of a free upgrade or a laptop case.

John_Mc wrote:
    I can tell you with absolute certainty that they do in fact operate on weekends.

How do I know this? I worked there for a summer when I was in college, and 12 hour shifts on weekends is not something you forget easily.
    I am also currently doing said weekend shift. Not all the lines run on the weekend, but the main laptop ones do (or all the laptop ones? I forget). They're taking on loads of new people to try and tackle the backlog.

Here's some vagueness on some of the issues from Dell:
    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/08/24/25755.aspx

Advertisement