Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel in France

Options
  • 13-09-2007 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Folks

I'm wondering if it's possible to pre-book TGV tickets and get them delivered to Ireland or maybe just collect them at a specified station. I tried railbookers but the only deliver to the UK.

Flying to Nantes and need return trip to Paris.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

BullBauld wrote:
    Folks

I'm wondering if it's possible to pre-book TGV tickets and get them delivered to Ireland or maybe just collect them at a specified station. I tried railbookers but the only deliver to the UK.

Flying to Nantes and need return trip to Paris.

Any help appreciated.

It is .

Go to www.voyages-sncf.com - at some stage in the booking process you will be asked for your country . Select Ireland. You will be asked do you want to collect the tickets in London (Rail Europe) or have them posted out to you - select post. And Bobs yer uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Parsi

That's brilliant, thank you very much Parsi. Just need to brush up on my french now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can collect them at the train station alternatively, using the paper printout from the web. Note you won't be able to use the automated machines to do this as they require a French credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

also don't forget to validate your ticket by getting it stamped in those orange machines just before you get on to the platforms or you could be liable to heavy fines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 vanessas

If you need some help to book on http://www.voyages-sncf.com I can help you to book if you want.
    you select train your departure, destination, date and average time (select lower than your real time to have all the choice after)
    the number of person "adulte"
    and the categorie "first or second class" (second class is very good in TGV)
    and you click on "reserver votre billet"
    then you have a list of time and price. do not select the tickets in green or orange called prems because they are not exhangeable and you won't have your money back if you miss your train.
    you select the one you want (click on point next to the price) and you click on "valider cet aller"
    you check and you click "continuer la reservation"

then the most important part !
    in the part "Confirmez votre commande en payant en ligne et choisissez de" you select "Retirer votre billet en borne libre service avec la carte bancaire utilisé pour le paiement"
    then you enter your credit card detail and you will receive a "dossier" reference on the e-mail adress you gave.
    When you will be in a train station in france you can go to a desk and give the reference or go to the yellow machines select english language and select the files "prepaid by internet " and you enter the reference dossier but be careful you MUST use in both cases the same credit card (it works with bank of ireland credit card but you need your pin number) that you have used on internet, your train ticket will then be printed. If you have selected a ticket for 2 people do not worry if you have only one ticket printed as it is valid for the 2 "adulte".
    Last thing as explain by previous post do not forget to valid your ticket by using the "composteur" machine which are situated at the start of the train gate. It is important because if you do not do it you can be fine as if you have not ticket.
    Indeed, as soon as you do not "compost" your ticket you can have your money back if your miss your train but after "compost", no momey back !

I hope it is clear and that you will enjoy your holidays in France !.:)

if you need hel for translation you can use babelfish to help you : http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I wouldn't ignore the discounted tickets - if you're sure that you'll be making the journey the cost saving can be very significant.

We travel to France each year and usually take a train trip and I find that getting the cheap fares is the way to go. It's also handy having the tickets in your hand before you go (especially if you have kids..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 vanessas

as far as I remember if you decide to take "prems" tickets you have to directly print them on your printer which would definitely be good. but be careful, I have seen people with problem on the train because the print was not good enough and you need an identity document on you. But maybe they have changed the system since. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulvwalshire

Hi

Myself, my wife and 3 kids (12 yrs, 7 yrs and 2 yrs) are planning a holiday in France this Summer camping in Carnac followed by a few days in Normandy and a few days in Paris before heading back via Irish Ferries/Roscoff.

Can anyone help with any of the following:

1. B&B or Guesthouse recommendation in Bayeux or Caen area - near to the Normandy beaches.

2. Any tips on visiting Parc Asterix?

3. Budget accommodation or Air BnB recommendation for Paris?

Thanks a mill

Paul

Advertisement