Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mozart. wow.

Options
  • 13-09-2007 6:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

For a long time, I almost disregarded Mozart, probably through willful obtuseness, in favour of Beethoven, Bach, Brahms, or almost anyone. Mozart was so omnipresent, I had only a fleeting appreciation.
    In the last year, I have spent more time listening to Mozart, and my God! I know this is obvious, but, it's amazing. I realise this is no revalation, but I feel I'm not the only one to not fully appreciate his awe inspiring canon of music. It absolutely buzzes with energy and ideas.
    The melodies are beautiful, that's a given. More stunning is the nimbleness. Something as obvious as Eine Kleine Nachtmusik played well is so perfect in it's construction.
    I feel the most attractive element of his music, however, is the erratic changes in tempo, key and general style in the space of a few bars.
    I know alot of people will think that they've always fully appreciated the man's genius, but I'm sure, others like me, have not.
    Start listening now and be uplifted:)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I have to say I love his choral work. Especially the Requiem. I always feel that whatever choir I happen to be in really put in extra effort when singing Mozart as he creates such beautiful sounds.

I also love his clarinet concerto as the adagio was one of the first "proper" clarinet pieces I could play well, rather than full of squeaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

You want:

Piano concerti 12 onwards
    Last 3 symphonies
    Anything for wind ensemble
    Mass in C minor

Enjoy! thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I second the piano concerti, 20 to 23 are particularly good.
    I only have symphonies 40 and 41, they're good
    The horn concerto of course
    And I really like his string quintets, in fact, I'm listening to quintet #4 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Violin concertos. Particularly the slow movements.

Flute and harp concerto. Flute concerto. A bit obscure, but still good. I second the clarinet concerto and third the late piano concertos (favourites include 21, 23, 27, though all are a bit overplayed—try K449 for something different, No. 14 I think).

Some of the piano sonatas. K330, K310, K331, K57something (the late B-flat one), K457, and the F major one whose number eludes me.

Choral music, as tSubh suggested. I second the Requiem, and I'd also suggest the various motets, such as Ave Verum Corpus and Exultate Jubilate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

His 23rd pc in A Major is my all-time-favorite-anything. The adagio, bizarrely enough, never fails to put me in a good mood.

22 in Eflat is quite good, especially the opening tutti. I still can't get over how anybody conceives something like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement