Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bog Bodies

Options
  • 13-09-2007 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Has anyone seen the "Bog Bodies" exhibition at the History Museum? It's there over a year now but I find myself going back to the museum on a regular basis on my days off from work. LOVE it there.

There's about 5 remains found in Ireland and northern Europe, all perfectly preserved/mumified bu the minerals and the acidity in the soil. They're all victims of murder & sacrifice, some have nooses round their necks, others decaptiated...some stabbed.

Really fascinating, just dont go to see it before you do lunch :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

This month's National Geographic have an article with fabulous pictures on Bog Bodies in Europe. The main thrust of the article is the two recent discoveries in Ireland. It's the issue with Pakistan as the cover story. Well worth buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

Meathlass wrote:
    This month's National Geographic have an article with fabulous pictures on Bog Bodies in Europe. The main thrust of the article is the two recent discoveries in Ireland. It's the issue with Pakistan as the cover story. Well worth buying.

Oh wow, thanks for that...I'll go have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

I go in all the time. Have you seen the man who has the celtic armband around his arm? His hands are amazingly well preserved. I am blown away simply to be standing in the presence of those people. I find myself imagining what their names were and what they saw. I have been known to stay in the museum for hours........

Always feel out of place in the 21st centuary to be honest and the museum is one of those places place I can feel close to our rich Celtic past.

(sigh)

Ruth

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Advertisement