Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling Exchange option ?

Options
  • 12-09-2007 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I need £2500 cold hard lovely cash.
    What is the best option regarding foreign exchange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Had to get my hands on approx same amount recently as i was purchasing an item in wales.

I left it late and had to goto about 4 different banks on a friday afternoon!

Your best bet is to preorder the cash via your local credit union... just give them a few days notice and they will have it there for you on the day you need it.

Credit union should have the best rate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Not sure about the rate. I would ring around first on the rate front. Whoever is the most competitive, use them, but book in advance. Thats a lot of cash in one currency. Possible some city centre branches have it in stock, but ordering it is best. I think rate will only apply on the date of actual conversion. I would be surprised if credit union were best...but I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Rashers72 wrote:
    Not sure about the rate. I would ring around first on the rate front. Whoever is the most competitive, use them, but book in advance. Thats a lot of cash in one currency. Possible some city centre branches have it in stock, but ordering it is best. I think rate will only apply on the date of actual conversion. I would be surprised if credit union were best...but I stand to be corrected.

Credit union was the best rate on the day in particular when i got it, but i think youre right, the rate depends on the day you get the currency

Also, dont forget the currency handling fee as well, i think it was €5-6 last time i had to change money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pangeran

Got a good deal with AIB, saved 50euro by shopping around a little :)
    hurray!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Do you know someone who works for a bank?
    I always try to get a staffer to do it - commission is free.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Well done for shopping around! Most people are lazy when it comes to foreign exchange, and wrongly assume most financial institutions give the same rate. I think some of the consumer mags should do comparisons between various banks etc. especially during the summer. This might highlight the large differences, especially in the margin between the buy and sell rates - i.e. where the banks make their money.

Advertisement