Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anybody recommend a good lamp?

Options
  • 12-09-2007 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

I think the title says it all!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

For reading under the covers at night?
    For shooting rabbits?
    For shooting foxes?
    For running dogs?
    Hand held or scope mounted?
    ?????????

Title tells SFA :p

Tell us a bit more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

tesco do a cheap one at the moment

60w bayonete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

johngalway wrote:
    For reading under the covers at night?
    For shooting rabbits?
    For shooting foxes?
    For running dogs?
    Hand held or scope mounted?
    ?????????

Title tells SFA :p

Tell us a bit more :)

something for foxes and rabbits, and handheld, and if you knew one that could do all this and still let me read under the covers without setting fire to the sheets, I'd appreciate your input.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

maglite wrote:
    tesco do a cheap one at the moment

60w bayonete

any good mag???????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I use a nightforce striker with red filter and a clu lite clubman delux with red filter. The later is rechargable and so is handy for walking fields. Have a look at Lamping.co.uk.

• Advertisement

Jonty wrote:
    something for foxes and rabbits, and handheld, and if you knew one that could do all this and still let me read under the covers without setting fire to the sheets, I'd appreciate your input.:D

I'm just so God damned good that I do :D

The best handheld lamp is the Lightforce Blitz 240, without question. If you look at one and think it's too big then I would suggest the Lightforce Striker 170. There is also the Lightforce Lance 140, but for rabbits and fox, especially the latter, you'll want the 170 minimum. All those models come in hand held versions.

One thing that is essential is to get one with a dimmer switch. Having this allows you to dim the light to the level you want at any time. Too much light can be a bad thing, but it's in orders of magnitude worse to go out with too little light.

I use the scope mounted versions of the 170 and 140. I don't take out the 140 much anymore to be honest, still have it as a back up though. A good mate I go lamping with a lot has the Blitz and it's the dogs danglies.

No other lamp will give you as good a (adjustable) beam as these. They do have dodgy connections, but these are easily DIY fixed. I'm no good at DIY anything and I done mine in a jiffy ;)

johngalway wrote:
    I'm just so God damned good that I do :D

The best handheld lamp is the Lightforce Blitz 240, without question. If you look at one and think it's too big then I would suggest the Lightforce Striker 170. There is also the Lightforce Lance 140, but for rabbits and fox, especially the latter, you'll want the 170 minimum. All those models come in hand held versions.

One thing that is essential is to get one with a dimmer switch. Having this allows you to dim the light to the level you want at any time. Too much light can be a bad thing, but it's in orders of magnitude worse to go out with too little light.

I use the scope mounted versions of the 170 and 140. I don't take out the 140 much anymore to be honest, still have it as a back up though. A good mate I go lamping with a lot has the Blitz and it's the dogs danglies.

No other lamp will give you as good a (adjustable) beam as these. They do have dodgy connections, but these are easily DIY fixed. I'm no good at DIY anything and I done mine in a jiffy ;)

Thats great, thanks for your input. The 240 is too bulky, I'm gonna get the 170. any input about filters? Now not the ones for the coffee machines:D

I tried a red filter once, I couldn't get on with it. Amber and green are meant to be good from what I hear, but no firsthand experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The 170 and 240 lightforce ( cigarette lighter connections aren't flawless ) and Cluson does a lovely little SL2 package with a decent enough scopemount included.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

What about all those cheap lamps you get in Aldi, Tesco, Argos etc that recharge in the cigarette lighter and give off a bizillion candle power and only cost thirty yoyo´s?

Is the strongest not the best for rabbits and foxes? Why not??

• Advertisement

The lamps in Aldi and elsewhere are for general use not hunting, but they can be used for hunting sure.

It's better when hunting to just use as much light as you need, no more. For example foxes, I use just enough light to keep track of their eyes or body (whichever given circumstances) I only light them up to take the shot and then just for a short time. It's possibly to spook animals with too much light, hurts their eyes just like ours.

alan123 wrote:
    What about all those cheap lamps you get in Aldi, Tesco, Argos etc that recharge in the cigarette lighter and give off a bizillion candle power and only cost thirty yoyo´s?

Is the strongest not the best for rabbits and foxes? Why not??

I don't think these lamps focus the beam very well. I could be wrong........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

what ever you do dont buy one of them 2 million candle watt ones you see on special offer in petrol stations, the battery on them is crap,

i have a a 700k light force one that pugs into cigratte lighter and have and adapter than i can then plug it on to a 12 v motor bike type battery, its a bit awkward but it work well and battery last over 2 hours

Advertisement