Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain relief following extraction

Options
  • 12-09-2007 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I had a surgical extraction on Monday of a molar that had been through the mill so to speak - had a root canal on it about 10 years ago, dentist at the time never crowned it and it cracked quite far down the root, my present dentist tried to save it about 2 years ago by putting a pin in it and building it up so it didn't look too bad. At my last checkup she said it needed to come out.

It was very tough to extract, she had to split the tooth in half and even then it took nearly an hour from start to finish and needed sutures, so I suppose there was a lot of trauma to the area.

I've been using prescription tylex that I had left over, as I found neurofen wasn't cutting it on the first day. However, there is still an irritating throbbing sensation. The wound still looks ok although there are white flecks on it (I don't think it's puss as the white stuff doesn't come off if I touch it), i'm taking antibiotics, doing the salt rinses but the ache remains. Is this normal 2 days later?

And is it ok for me to use Difflam mouth rinse around the wound? I just started using it today, and I find it very helpful as it numbs the gum and takes away that annoying sensation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

I had my wisdom teeth surgically removed in july and the consultant told me to get Corsodyl mouthwash for helping the wounds to heal. I found it really good. I left the hospital with prescription painkillers and boxes of Solpadeine.
    The aches remained for a few weeks afterwards alright. Hope you feel better soon.

Advertisement