Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline hand luggage infos

Options
  • 12-09-2007 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd better ask just in case :D

Travelling soon from Cork - Dublin (Ryanair) then Dublin - Geneva (Aer Lingus). No direct route unfortunately :(

Will there be any issues bringing laptop, mouse and GPS onto the planes as hand luggage? Laptop and mouse wont be used but I might switch on the GPS. Its passive and doesnt send out signals anyway.

All ok or are there silly rules preventing some of this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

there will be no problem bringing any of the above on board, subject to the carry-on luggage allowance not being exceeded, however you'll need to check with Ryanair cabin crew about using the GPS on board.

Laptop is fine to use, but needs to be switched off for takeoff and landing and you'll need to make sure you disable your wi-fi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You'll have to seperate your laptop from any other luggage for security screening.

Some airlines consider the laptop to be your total carry-on luggage while others allow another bag with it.

Re GPS - I doubt that they will allow it as most don't allow phones on 'flight' mode (but I'm not sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Why are you going to switch on the GPS, to give the pilot directions ?

:)

Will a GPS system work inside an aeroplane ( don't you have to have clear line-of sight with the satalites ? )

... I meant inside the passenger cabin of course , because aeroplanes have their own GPS systems which would have line-of sight

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Re GPS - I doubt that they will allow it as most don't allow phones on 'flight' mode (but I'm not sure).

I'm 95% sure I read something in the Aer Lingus magazine about GPS units not being allowed. I just thought it strange they would prohibit a device that only receives signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Davidth88 wrote:
    Why are you going to switch on the GPS, to give the pilot directions ?
    Out of curiosity, I suppose .. I've often wondered when travelling on a nice fine day when you have a good clear view of the ground where it is you're flying over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

One thing's for sure ... if it's a "nice clear day" you'll know for sure you are not flying over Ireland !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I left my N95 on (by mistake!) while on a flight to Spain a few weeks ago. I was sitting at a window seat, so I decided to give the GPS a lash (holding it up to the window)...30 seconds later I had a fix (was somewere over the Bay of Biscay at the time).

I turned it off after that, but it was funny to see the display zooming in on a piece of ocean :)

Advertisement