Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI cable

Options
  • 12-09-2007 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Went in to my local Dixons today to get an HDMI cable for amp to TV. Couldn't believe it when the salesperson asked me for €80. I left it. I've come across the cable argument before re: quality/pricing but I think this is a bit much. Also, I think this shop should have had a cheaper brand alongside this one. Anyone know of a cheaper cable that's not muck, say €40 or less, if there is such thing. Looked at dabs.ie and they start at €8.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

for short lengths I wouldnt spend the money either, but there are good arguements for using better quality cables in noisy environments. However dare I say it I have used the Lidl silvercrest 2m HDMI at full resolution at home and it was fine I think it cost 7-8 euro or there abouts so its up to yourself:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

For an all digital connection like HDMI , at the lengths needed here , there are a multitude of reasons why the cheapest cable will work just as good as the so called " quality cables " , analog noise issues have no effect on digitals capability to get the signal from A to B , so get the cheapest one you can find.
    As long as its mechanically sound it will work and there will be no discernable difference in quality between an 80 euro cable and an 8 euro cable.

I have been into Dixons and seen HDMI cables listed as 1080p cable and others listed as 720p cable , as if there was a difference , and with a 40-50 euro difference in price between the two , an outrageous con !!

not true electrostatic noise can knock out the interface.

Define " Electrostatic noise " , what are we talking about here , an ESD pulse ?

Thats off topic anyway , the long and short of it is , there are no grades of " quality " with HDMI , the cheapest one will do ...for a Technical discussion on the merits of the cable , thats another thread.

I fully agree with you that cheap short lengths will do and its almost impossible to degrade the signal at a short lenght. and I also understand your thinking behind the statement, its a digital signal therefore the decision circuit will only see on or off. but as you are probably aware short lengths are not the problem its resistance,attenuation,inductance and ISI on the longer lengths that make the difference when purchasing a HDMI lead.

• Advertisement

its a digital signal therefore the decision circuit will only see on or off. but as you are probably aware short lengths are not the problem its resistance,attenuation,inductance and ISI on the longer lengths that make the difference when purchasing a HDMI lead.

Agreed , for the 2-3m lengths needed to interconnect say a TV to a DVD/PS3/AV reciever , any HDMI cable will do , even up to 10m , I have never tested anything longer than 20m , and even that was pretty solid. After that I have no data besides theoretical , but based on that , and with regards to the usual cables found in the likes of Dixons , maplins etc , the cheapest will definitely do the job.

For the OP and anyone else that reads this , save your money and dont waste it on monster HDMI cables and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks, that's good to hear. Will have a look at the LIDL and Tesco cables today, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Got a 2m HDMI cable off eBay for 10euro shipped, I was shocked when DID asked for 60euro for a ****ty "Monster" cable.
    Using it currently to type this mail :) (AppleTV+OSX)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Wheres the best place to buy a HDMI???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Just found these prices which seem fairly good ,
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/HDMI_Cables.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 steprime

I bought a HDMI cable in GAME in liffey Valley for €20 about a month ago.

I`ll buy a more expensive one after xmas, but the cheap one is doing the job so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

There can be a big difference in quality on hdmi cables where you need a good run 5 to 10 metres - at these lengths cheaper cables can be terrible at 1080p but will do fine at 720

I had to invest in a high quality 10 metre cable to get a decent 1080p signal

Shorter cables seem to work fine

hope this helps

I have cause to test these at work , with the finest test equipment for the job , and I can guarantee that there will be no difference , no matter what the picture quality , up to 15 metres , I have detailed spectrum analyser overlays showing entry to exit differences of less that 0.01% over the cheapest to the dearest 15m cables and that is nowhere near enough to cause a picture difference and wouldnt drop so much as 1 bit from the digital signal ,

So , if anyone tells me they see a difference between HDMI cables at 5m Im going to tell you that you are imagining it , full stop.

At 20 metres now , then we see significant drops , I'll buy that , but no way at 5m , never !

And any company that rates cables based on 720p , 1080p at that length are lying deceiving conmen and I wouldnt give them a penny , get your cables somewhere else if you see this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

That settles it for me. Thanks Mattias.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Anto.

shayser wrote: »
    That settles it for me. Thanks Mattias.

LIDL were selling them today for €3.99

Advertisement