Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L Glass Vs IS

Options
  • 12-09-2007 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

One for all you Canonites out there.
    Given the fact that Canon L series lenses with IS are very expensive I've been trying to decide which option is best - L without IS or IS without L.
    For example given the choice, say between a Canon 70-200 L f4 (non IS) and a Canon 70-300 IS (non L) which one would most choose? Forget about the extra reach of the 70-300 as it's only the quality of the result I would be taking into account. Both lenses are in the same ballpark pricewise AFAIK. From what I've seen on this board and elsewhere The L series gives great results but the IS system seems to works pretty well also. Lens would be used with a 400D.
    Just wondered what you Canon users thought.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The L is the designation for the quality of glass/lens. IS is just stabilisation.

For me, I'd prefer the quality of glass over the IS.

L before IS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ive just bought a 200mm L that doesnt incorporate IS, i also have a 70-300mm that does have IS.

Both are good lenses for different reasons, but i must say that for sheer image quality the L glass wins it in my book.
    Its taking a little getting used to simply because of the lack of IS but once you overcome that then its a fantastic piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

obviously the 70-300 IS is nicer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

definitely the L..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

L is the best , IS is not compensation for inferior glass , I have the 70 -200 L , its one of my favourite lenses. Lack of IS does not bother me one bit , if I need a tripod or a beanbag I'll use one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I think there are more benifits with L and IS such as weather sealed lenses in particular with the 70-200 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Kilree

:D Nice try Cambo lol. So far it looks like the L is winning hands down.

If I was in the same position as you I would get the f4L IS, I find it superb and combined with the f4 which most people say is the sharpest zoom around you cant go wrong, maybe pick it up overseas to minimise the cost?

Would dearly love to, Borderfox but the cheapest I've seen the 70-200L with IS on eBay is 817 euro (incl postage) whilst the L without IS comes in at 483 (also incl postage). I'd love to be able to get the L IS but can't really justify the cost. Hence the query.

From ACfoto website:
    "4 step Image Stabilizer (IS) extends low light options to previously unimaginable levels. Photographers normally shooting handheld at 1/250 sec can switch on IS to obtain a similarly steady and blur-free result with a shutter speed of just 1/15 second."
    Borderfox, from your experience is this really possible?

• Advertisement

It has been proved in every test I have read about, and from personal experience with the f2.8L IS with a three stop saving I have gone down as far as 1/60th @ 200mm with no blurring.

In my experience it is worth it even so far as the weather sealing also that you gain with the IS. Four stop IS is the very latest IS system.

Advertisement