Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinkgeek tokens & VAT

Options
  • 12-09-2007 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭

I've been given a bunch of Thinkgeek tokens as a gift.

Given that thinkgeek.com are based in the US - if I order from there, will I still be liable for customs & VAT ?

I'm fairly sure the answer is "Yes" ... but I always thought that gifts are exempt from VAT, and these are gift tokens.

Any advice ? Any idea what the rates & limits are ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

ThinkGeek will probably mark the parcel as a gift, but their Irish courier is FedEx and if their keeness to collect customs and VAT charges are anything to go by, they're on bloody commission from the Revenue. Make sure you keep copies of the gift tokens, even if they're printouts, and prepare for a battle if FedEx decide to get snotty. They probably will, they're a horrible courier company anyway.

adam

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thinkgeek don't generally mark there items as gifts and sadly they are generally caught for customs, but not always :)

Myself and others have ordered from thinkgeek in the past, nice items but a bitch when it comes to shipping and customs

Advertisement