Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any '19 - '23 veterans still alive?

Options
  • 12-09-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Is there any IRA/Free State veterans of the 1919-23 period still alive that anyone knows of? I thought I heard that there was none until I learned of Dan Keating's existance. He's the patron of RSF which is neither here nor there but its amazing that someone active back then is still involved (albeit in a pretty limited way) in public life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Is there any IRA/Free State veterans of the 1919-23 period still alive that anyone knows of? I thought I heard that there was none until I learned of Dan Keating's existance. He's the patron of RSF which is neither here nor there but its amazing that someone active back then is still involved (albeit in a pretty limited way) in public life.

There are very few of them left, I do'nt know the specific numbers. I remember hearing on some programme on the history channel that ther is only something like 5 veterans of the French Forces from WW1. A bit like the line of the Fureys song Waltzing Matilda about Aussies at Gallipoli,
    " And some day no one will march there at all"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

When 'The Wind that Shakes the Barley' was doing the round back last summer (or thereabouts) Joe Duffy was talking to a veteran of the war of independence, he must have been close on the 100 mark, but he sounded lively enough, cant think of his name though. Joe was asking him about his involvement in the IRA and if the movie portrayed those times well.

EDIT...ah, just looked him up and it seems as if it was Dan Keating, d'oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was about to say Dan Keating too. I'm pretty sure he's the only one left. But yes it's amazing to think of what one can see when they live to be so old. I remember recently reading about Misch, the last survivor of the Hitler bunker in 1945. Even at that, and the war of independence predates that by years, I found it incredible to believe you could talk to someone even today who was so involved in what is nothing but pure history to us..for them it wasn't history, it was just the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

HavoK wrote:
    I found it incredible to believe you could talk to someone even today who was so involved in what is nothing but pure history to us..for them it wasn't history, it was just the present.

Yeah you are spot on. I think i read that the last british soldier alive who has direct experience of first world war trench warfare (as opposed to still being in recruit training when the war ended) still refuses to talk about it to anyone - Its unpleasant memories for him but as much a part of history as the Crimean war for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

I have an audio interview of Dan Keating taken earlier this year. I'll post it up if anyones interested.

The interviewer is fairly sh!te though.

It's mainly concerning his time spent interned in the Curragh during the 30's and 40's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hi Fenian,

I'd like to hear it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

When 'The Wind that Shakes the Barley' was doing the round back last summer (or thereabouts) Joe Duffy was talking to a veteran of the war of independence, he must have been close on the 100 mark, but he sounded lively enough, cant think of his name though. Joe was asking him about his involvement in the IRA and if the movie portrayed those times well.

EDIT...ah, just looked him up and it seems as if it was Dan Keating, d'oh!

Did Duffy just focus on the 'Goodie' IRA - 1916 - signing of the treaty of Partition OR also the 'Baddie' - IRA partition to the present ?

McArmalite wrote:
    Did Duffy just focus on the 'Goodie' IRA - 1916 - signing of the treaty of Partition OR also the 'Baddie' - IRA partition to the present ?

Neither actually (as far as I can remember), there conversation was based on whether the events which were portrayed in the movie where similar to what Keating had experienced during his involvement in that period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Neither actually (as far as I can remember), there conversation was based on whether the events which were portrayed in the movie where similar to what Keating had experienced during his involvement in that period.
    wow, I said that without moving my lips :rolleyes: :D

wow, I said that without moving my lips :rolleyes: :D

It appears you did! :p

Sorry, wasnt sure who his question was directed at, he quoted me but then made refrence to you, hard to know with him/her :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

http://www.mediafire.com/?axlsybmig1c

Theres the interview HavoK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Dan Keating has sadly passed away, a true Republican who unlike Sinn Fein never abandoned his Republican principles, may he rest in peace.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhaueyidgb/

Just heard, tragic news.

A true Irishman, he'll be sadly missed.

RIP

Yes it was sad to hear. According to the BBC he was the last living veteran of the war.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7026951.stm

Actually i wasn't going to mention it but its annoying me so much I'm going to throw it out there. Its a complete disgrace, extremely petty but unfortunately not too surprising that RTE didn't carry any mention of his death. He was the patron of a small party with some pretty out there ideas bout the Irish constitution but even still I reckon its completely contemptible that he didn't merit a mention. Its not as it the publicity would have even helped RSF.

Besides his status as a veteran he was also the oldest man in Ireland yet not a dickie-bird on the RTE website which is quite sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

On the subject, who was the last 1916 veteran? I can't find it anywhere.

According to that bloke from RSF Ruairi O Bradaigh Dan Keating was the last surviving veteran from the war of independance so I would guess that that includes the 1916 rising. I'm not sure if O'Bradaigh is a credable sourse though or wheter he includes women involved through Cuman na mBan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Actually i wasn't going to mention it but its annoying me so much I'm going to throw it out there. Its a complete disgrace, extremely petty but unfortunately not too surprising that RTE didn't carry any mention of his death. He was the patron of a small party with some pretty out there ideas bout the Irish constitution but even still I reckon its completely contemptible that he didn't merit a mention. Its not as it the publicity would have even helped RSF.

Besides his status as a veteran he was also the oldest man in Ireland yet not a dickie-bird on the RTE website which is quite sad.

I saw it on the news on RTE, but maybe they didn't bother putting it on the site?

Well I'm happy to say I stand corrected!

• Advertisement
Advertisement