Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop suggestion

Options
  • 11-09-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

Hi, im goin into college to do computer science, i know my computers very well. im just looking for some opinions on wheter or not i should get a laptop, since the course will require alot of computer work. any suggestoins will be greatly apreshiated.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Having a laptop will make boring lectures go a hell of a lot more easily.....

Im doing computer science in trinity, and got by fine in first year without a laptop. I still really wish I had one though, because in really boring lectures they can be a godsend.

So basically, no you don't need one. A USB key and the college computer would probably do you fine, but at the same time its nice to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

thanks for ur reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I studied Computer science for 4 years without any computer of my own - like the other poster said, its not essential. Comp Sci courses have their own dedicated labs so you wont have trouble queueing for hours for library machines or anything like that. You can DEF get by without one, but if I could have had one at the time life would certainly have been more convenient... no real NEED for one though.

Best of luck with the course!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not needed but it will come in very handy.

Advertisement