Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know a good carpenter who makes Butsudans?

Options
  • 11-09-2007 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey there

Im thinking about getting a Butsudan ( I practice Nicheren Buddhism) and am going to get my Gohonzon shortly - I was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that makes or sells nice Butsudans? I dont want to get one online as Id rather have an input into the making of it.

Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

surhythms wrote:
    Hey there

Im thinking about getting a Butsudan ( I practice Nicheren Buddhism) and am going to get my Gohonzon shortly - I was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that makes or sells nice Butsudans? I dont want to get one online as Id rather have an input into the making of it.

Cheers :D
    Firstly, congradulations from a fellow practitioner, got mine 22 years ago.
    I would imagine any good cabinet maker could build one for you. There are plans available on line. You could also make it yourself. This would have the added benefit of making a great cause for yourself at the start of your practise. I know a couple of people who have done this and though none of them had previouse experience, I was impressed by the Butsuma they created. This is actually a big thing in the US, where people make there own to fit the decor of their aparments. The only rule in construction is to make sure that the actual compartment in which you enshrine your Gohonzon is air tight to prevent dust and air-born contamination from dirtying the actual mandala, and that the Gohonzon when mounted is at eye level (you always want to be looking slightly upward at it as opposed to looking dowwn on it). And finaly, never have anything stored over the Butsuma.
    Again congradulations on this important step.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 surhythms

Hey there

Well Congratulations on 22 years of practice - ive just come back from my Buddhist Summer Course and I feel HIGHLY inspired!! I have 2 friends coming over on Friday morning to chant with me so Im going to get ideas from them aswell. Im very excited about all of this :D

surhythms wrote:
    Hey there

Well Congratulations on 22 years of practice - ive just come back from my Buddhist Summer Course and I feel HIGHLY inspired!!
    Cool, the courses are a great way to refresh. Where did you go?
    Asia

Hey Asia

we had our summer course in Ireland and loads of people from UK came over aswell.

Maybe next year I will go to Tretz in France - you never know!

surhythms wrote:
    Hey Asia

we had our summer course in Ireland and loads of people from UK came over aswell.

Maybe next year I will go to Tretz in France - you never know!

Ha, interesting since I am from Dublin

• Advertisement

Oh really were u there aswell?

surhythms wrote:
    Oh really were u there aswell?
    No, I live in Tokyo now

Advertisement