Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a distinction?

Options
  • 11-09-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

How may marks are needed to obtain a distinction in a particulat subject?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Depends on the college. Many universities don't award distinctions at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

By distinction, do you mean 1.1? In my college it was 70% plus, but that can vary from place to place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Newaglish wrote:
    By distinction, do you mean 1.1? In my college it was 70% plus, but that can vary from place to place.

No, a 1.1 is a first class honours degree.

A distinction is usually awarded as part of an old diploma and it varies (slightly) from college to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

A distinction in a Masters is over 70%. Never heard of a distinction being awarded for anything else really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

A distinction in a Masters is over 70%. Never heard of a distinction being awarded for anything else really.

Not all masters - some use the 1st class honours etc thing. I think some professional courses award distinctions rather than firsts, but there used to be a thing at some universities where a distinction would be higher than a first (Oxford and Cambridge give out 'starred firsts' instead I believe...) - it's not widely used though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

They are used by the Royal Irish Academy of Music as a grade, it is the highest possible grade ( over 90% i think ). Never really seen it anywhere else

Advertisement