Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KEF KHT3005 Speakers - What do u think ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

KEF are a good brand but any speaker package is going to be limited. Phrases like "audiophile-quality" (why is that hyphenated anyway?) are just silly... they're undoubtedly good but any package like that is going to be a compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Slaphead07 wrote:
    Phrases like "audiophile-quality" (why is that hyphenated anyway?)
    It's hyphenated because a compound modifier, (veering off-topic here aren't we?) See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_modifier for details. Anyway, you can hardly blame KEF if you don't like the CNET editor's turn of phrase.

I've never heard these speakers, so can't offer any opinion on the OP's question.

I know that lots of people on this forum will decry buying kit purely on the basis of reviews, but some people have little alternative, for a variety of reasons, and it sure beats walking into Dixon's and accepting whatever the spotty gom tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

It's hyphenated because a compound modifier, (veering off-topic here aren't we?) See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_modifier for details. Anyway, you can hardly blame KEF if you don't like the CNET editor's turn of phrase.
    I'm not blaming KEF just wondering out loud. Thanks for the explanation btw but I still think it's a strange usage.

I know that lots of people on this forum will decry buying kit purely on the basis of reviews, but some people have little alternative, for a variety of reasons, and it sure beats walking into Dixon's and accepting whatever the spotty gom tells you.
    I agree with you but Richer or Lyric in Belfast, Peats in Dublin or a few of the other 'chain' stores might have something you can hear first. Personally I wouldn't spend that sort of money based on reviews unless I knew 100% that they were unbiased (and very few are). Try the real shops first and then look online....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Thanks, I think a visit to peats for a listen is the next logical step, was just trying to get any inside advise /expertise first.

I am trying to move up from the basic all-in-one home cinema system to something better, am getting there slowly but surely !

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

If you still want them after listening to them in Peats i'd save yourself a great deal of cash and get them from here : http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3585 (30 pound sterling for delivery and available in silver only). Works out at about 900 euro delivered rather than 1550 to buy in peats.

• Advertisement

Thanks mbroaders !

I had seen the superfi website alright, and am considering placing an order.

The only slight thing holding me back a little is, many of the websites/blogs I have found state there is a dealer agreement with KEF which is collection only, and they do not ship.

I dropped an e-mail to a few retailers in Ireland (North and South) to see if they stock these, and what price. So far I have had an ex-display offer from http://www.theflicks.co.uk/enlargement.asp?ArtID=982&CatID=107&offset=2, which they will ship as it is not considered totally new, but price is still not as good as superfi, think they are going to be hard to beat!

normally superfi dont sell the kef speakers online either. Im not sure what it is about these ones that make it an exception but i do know that i convinced the gf to let me buy em ;)

Expect my old speakers on the adverts in a few days :D

Cool, when did you order, just at the weekend or some time back ?

I've got some additional feedback from Kronos AV they will do their demo pack for £699 (so £75 less than theflicks), however they cannot believe how superfi can do it at that price as they say it is way below cost according to them. KEF support also confirmed the RRP as £999 although said some retailers my decide to offer there own specials.

Definitely be interested to hear how you get (or got) on with Superfi.

Cheers.

Only ordered last night. Have heard good reports from Superfi so dont expect too many problems but will let you know how it goes. The only reason i can guess why they have been reduced is that i heard that there is a newer model of the kht3000's coming out shortly.

Yeah, have seen on some of the boards there is a KHT3005SE (special edition) version out (or nearly out) for £999, same as the RRP for the 3005's, perhaps that is why they are looking to off-load the stock in order to not get stuck with it?

It's gonna be reviewed in the What Hi-Fi? October issue also. I think from reading around KEF also done this in the past with the 2005's, and fixed some issues with the special edition which made a difference, but doubt you will get the SE's for £599 anytime soon.

Will probably order mine by the end of the week, if I can hold out that long.

Oh also, what did superfi quote/charge you for delivery ? £30 or ?

• Advertisement

Yep £30 delivery. It adds it when you go through the checkout process. :)

Just need to find myself an Onyko 605 for a decent price now :p

Great thanks, £30 is acceptable ! Order will be placed soon. :)

How weird, I am also looking at the 605, and trying to source. :D

Superfi do have a special http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3612 which includes the 605 & 3005's, plus a Denon DVD, however I suspect the delivery charge would also go up to £100 due to weight, so not sure how cost effective in the end.

The speakers on their own seem to be bargain for sure.

hehe :) Munster sounds have a decent enough price for the 605 but am keeping my eyes open for deals at the moment. www.munstersounds.ie

Yeah seen the 605 on Munster, same as on Peats http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=22356&sid=23&cid=123&scid=5488. I've also come across them in Harvey Normans, who seem to be getting out of the separates business, so lots of stuff on offer, just not the 605's yet, the one on display was listed at 699euro, but there might be some bargaining to done in the coming weeks.

Ordered my 3005's last night, order currently being processed as of today! :D

Got a message today saying that there was a problem with the order as the delivery address didnt match the card address. I contacted Superfi who immediatly asked if i was from the Republic of Ireland, i said yes and he explained that there is a problem with the site that does that but that the order is in hand and will processed and i need not worry about it. I imagine you will get the same message today/tomorrow but you shouldnt have to worry about it but if you want to make sure give them a call to put your mind at rest :)

:D already made that call ! Had the same issue.

I was told they had a new system, and were having some teething problems with postcodes (which we don't have yet!) and addresses. They manually processed the payment while I was on the line, or so they told me.

I got no order update notification after about an hour after that, so logged into my Superfi account/order, and sent them an update on the order that I had called and paid, on the off chance they guy on the phone was not totally integrated with the online guy where-ever he maybe :)

Hopefully plain sailing from here............

Just got a phone call at lunch today from Superfi looking to take my card details over the phone for manual payment processing. I was also informed that the order would be processed and dispatched shortly thereafter.

So not sure what really happened y/day with my manual payment? :confused:

Anyway, seems like I am nearly there now....... :)

Just got confirmation from Superfi order has been dispatched :D

Looks like a next week will be a busy one getting everything set-up :)

Speakers delivered Yesterday ! :D

One week from order to delivery, not bad. :)

Now the real fun starts............

Bah! Mine was only shipped yesterday. Let me know how you get on with them :) Whereabouts did you order your amp from? Slowly saving up the cash for it at the moment.

• Advertisement

Yeah, will let you know on the speakers, although will be a while before everything is hooked up as some room redesign might be happening first.

On the Amp I am getting it this week through a popular electronics store via the wifes brother in law, who could get it for just under 600euros. To be honest I didn't do much checking around on this. Seen it for 650 in peats, and munster sounds, and around 600'ish from superfi including shipping, so the discount seemed okay, and therefore just went with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

You won't be disappointed by the Kef's... they're outstanding speakers. Have had many a demo of them in my local hifi shop's listening room (Rayleigh Hi-fi in Southend).. blow me away each time, then again they're connected to a whopping great Arcam AVR350.

Well spent last Saturday getting the speakers set-up, and connected. :)

Everything was relatively painless, except one minor mistake, which happened when I was relocating the bracket from underneath one speaker to the back of the speaker for wall mounting. While unscrewing the bolt I noticed it was a little stiff, although it came off, and then when i was screwing it back in to the back of the speaker it became tighter, so I un-screwed, and retry'd a few times, but on a final attempt tried a little to hard and actually broke the bolt in half, leaving half stuck in the speaker. :(

I can live with this in the short-term as 2 speakers are wall mounted and the other 2 on stands, plus the centre on a middle shelf of the TV stand.

All in all I am very happy with the set-up, no comparison to my pervious all in one. Now I need to find the time to give it a good test, and then fine tune the details over the coming weeks.

Later !

Good stuff :) I have mine sitting in the box it came in taunting me at the moment as i am waiting till i move into my new place till i set them up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

For those of you who made enquiries (and bought) off superfi.. do they sell them in the piano black for that same price?

As far as i am aware it is for the silver ones only.

Advertisement