Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Video iPod 30Gb

Options
  • 11-09-2007 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭

My iPod just stopped working a few weeks ago out of no where. It wouldn't charge up when I plugged the recharger into it and it wouldn't turn on. When I checked the Apple website it said it would cost 170euro to fix.
    Obviously I wasn't going to pay that so I ordered a battery off Ebay and then changed the battery in the iPod. That didn't work so now I'm lost as to what action to take; should I ring up Apple and threaten them to fix it for free, try sell the iPod for parts, get someone else to fix it?
    Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Well since you opened it and changed the battery, your warranty is invalid if you had one. No chance Apple would do anything free so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you tried the 5 steps recommended by Apple ?

Is there any response at all when you power it up ? Put it to your ear. When you put it back together did you assemble it correctly, for example the hold button, did you put the slider back on properly. It may be stuck in the hold position.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The warranty only lasts a year and I did try those 5 steps they recommend. When I put it back together, everything went back into place and still it wouldn't work.
    Whenever I plug the recharger into it the apple logo appears but nothing ever loads up, its extremely frustrating. Its also annoying that I paid 330euro for this iPod in Christmas 05/06 and 80Gb iPods now cost 250euro. It also costs 170euro to get it fixed. Assholes, I feel like rustling their feathers a bit such is my anger

If you listen closely can you hear any sound from the internals ? Like a hard drive spinning up. What happens if you leave it connected for a while, does the Apple symbol change to anything else for example. Does the computer see the iPod when it's connected ?

ZEN

I cant get any sound from the iPod, and the computer won't recognise the iPod either. Its so very frustrating now. Is there any cheap repair places to go to? By cheap I mean CHEAPER than Apple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Can I suggest you drop your iPod flat onto its back, about 1 foot above a hard surface like a table? (Put down a towel or something first to avoid scuffing it.) On two occasions my out-of-warranty 4th gen would do nothing more than flash the Apple logo for a couple of seconds, no whirring sounds or anything. After trying more restrained stuff, I got a bit desperate and tried dropping it to give the system a jolt, in case the hard drive was somehow caught on something - luckily it worked both times!

Thanks for the suggestion but that didnt work. Im looking at its insides right now and just don't know what to do. Goddamn iPod cost 330euro

Try this and see what it turns up.

ZEN

I tried that but the hard drive wouldn't start spinning so didn't get very far.
    I found this thing on Ebay that will repair the hard drive, it costs 30euro so I'm going to try that

Don't waste your money, if the drive is dead it's dead and no external gadget is going to fix it. A cleanroom and expert skill is required to dismantle a drive.

A new 40GB drive for the iPod is about 100 euro. I deal with this company regularly and found them reliable and reasonably priced. The drive comes complete with a kit for dismantling the unit. A new x2 capacity battery is an extra 35 euro.

ZEN

• Advertisement
Advertisement