Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts, Boxing, Self-Defence

Options
  • 10-09-2007 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right section.

Does anyone know of any decent martial arts, boxing, self-defence, etc... courses in Dublin 8 (S.C.R, Kevin St, The Coombe area willing to travel a bit though). I was in a boxing club in Teresa's Gardens which was basically not the best, looking for somewhere cheap but decent enough.:D

Thanks in advance.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Gavin,

There's a self defence/martial arts forum you can ask on.

But we're on the 77 line - Spartan MMA. If you check out our website (www.spartanmma.com) there are clips of training and competition, along with techniques, so you've a pretty good idea of what we do.

If you'd like to pop down for a session you're more than welcome.

Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

But we're on the 77 line - Spartan MMA. If you'd like to pop down for a session you're more than welcome.

Ah the infamous 77.
    If you attend Colms class, you might get the perfect opportunity out your MMA skills if the locals start causing trouble on the bus ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I work up beside the coombe. You're about a 15-20 minute walk from the bridgestone gym. They teach Muay Thai there. 7 euro a class. It's top notch.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you not like about the boxing club? PM if you'd rather keep it off the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Khannie wrote:
    If you don't mind me asking, what did you not like about the boxing club? PM if you'd rather keep it off the board.

I was wondering that one myself.

Oh and OP, if Muay Thai is your thing I'd go along with Khannie's recommendation.

Guys whats the story with Pinnecle Gym in Camden St. aren't they suppose to have MMA or BJJ classes up and running sometime soon?.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Khannie wrote:

Not sure if anyone knows the area of The Tenters. Well anyway people who live in the Tenters are not liked by the people of Teresa's Gardens. Espacially since a few of our "enemies" attend that boxing club me and my mte got a really hard time both in the club and then after in when going home.:mad:

Are the courses/sessions suitable for under-18's, I'm 16.

• Advertisement

Gavin,

Sorry to hear you'd a bad experience with the boxing clubs.

In answer to your question, I coach kids from 4 up, and I've teenagers aged 14/15 in the Agoge class and a 16/17 year old in the adults class, so yes they're suitable.

Colm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

me and my mte got a really hard time both in the club and then after in when going home.:mad:

So stupid. I hate that kind of crap. :mad:
    Are the courses/sessions suitable for under-18's, I'm 16.

The beginners class would be fine for you. There are a few youngfellas fighting out of bridgestone. The boxing you did learn will transfer well too (stance is different, but basic punches are the same). Muay Thai is a form of (wait for the outrage here....) kickboxing with elbows and knees. The beginners don't spar a huge amount (it is very light) so it's mostly padwork until you progress to the fighters class (that's if you want to of course).

I've been doing it a while now and LOVE it and freely admit to being biased towards it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mickoo

Gavin,

Sorry to hear you'd a bad experience with the boxing clubs.
    Colm
    Boxing club colm=not clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Might as well post it here.

Anyone any experience with Phibsboro Boxing Club?

Was thinking of going down there some time soon.

Also Drumcondra Judo?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

A friend of mine helps train there as far as i know and he is a top class boxer so i'd assume it would be o'k..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Where is Phibsboro boxing club now?

PHIBSBORO
    Paddy Delaney
    45 Beresford St.
    Dublin 7
    01 8783373

According to www.iaba.ie

Might as well post it here.

Anyone any experience with Phibsboro Boxing Club?

Was thinking of going down there some time soon.

Also Drumcondra Judo?

Never heard of Judo in Drumcondra.

One of the Carlakes has a Jiu Jitsu club in Drumcondra is thats any use.

We have a nice little club going up in Donneycarney is thats any use.

And don't forget us near Glasnevin Cemetary www.ko-martialarts.com !!!:D

Roper wrote:
    And don't forget us near Glasnevin Cemetary www.ko-martialarts.com !!!:D

I hear its dead up there?.

Ba-Dum Tish!!!!

:)

Mairt,
    We had to be near the graveyard cos we kill each other....

...jaysus that's weak even by my poor standards.

Roper wrote:
    Mairt,
    We had to be near the graveyard cos we kill each other....

...jaysus that's weak even by my poor standards.

Jeeze I've been BONE idle all day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Since when did this become the shiite jokes forum!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote:
    Since when did this become the shiite jokes forum!!

Mmmmmmmmm, sometime around October 2006 I think ;)

• Advertisement

Boxing club colm=not clubs

BANNED for pointing out my typos!!!!!

Colm
    -Human after all

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Lorelei

Can you please pm me with contact details.

Lorelei wrote: »
    Can you please pm me with contact details.

backtothefuture.jpg

With my flux capacitor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 angelinamo

Not sure if this is the right section.

Does anyone know of any decent martial arts, boxing, self-defence, etc... courses in Dublin 8 (S.C.R, Kevin St, The Coombe area willing to travel a bit though). I was in a boxing club in Teresa's Gardens which was basically not the best, looking for somewhere cheap but decent enough.:D

Thanks in advance.;)

alri, im a girl in James's street, well early thirties so no a girl, but I want to get into boxing and self defence, used to do it when I was younger, was just wondering did ye find anywhere near cause I don't have a motor, and are there birds there, cause I'd feel like a gob****e being the only bird like,
    cheers, angelina

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

If you are looking specifically for Boxing Angelina you might be better off asking on the boxing forum. Boxing would be excellent for self defense.

Alternatively if you're open to other styles I'd recommend either MMA or Thai. Again for MMA gyms you might get more suggestions in the MMA forum, for Thai boxing the closest gyms to you is Bridgestone Thai in Stoneybatter, there are around 5 girls who train there regularly, the coach on Wednesdays is Female if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

Martial Arts and Self Defence Forum - where it's so quiet we don't even berate people for 7 year old zombie threads. :D

cletus wrote: »
    Martial Arts and Self Defence Forum - where it's so quiet we don't even berate people for 7 year old zombie threads. :D

Yup, its pretty dead here these days.

God be with the times we celebrated Joe and Mary Bloggs getting a BJJ blue belt :P

Tbh I've never believed in ragging someone's arse for resurrecting zombie threads, there's enough moderating done in other forums ~ I'd rather let adults be adults without too much interference from me or any other moderators.

Advertisement