Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Returns On Sale Items

Options
  • 10-09-2007 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought a half price t-shirt over the weekend but when I go home I discovered it was too big for me. I didn't try the garment on in the shop because I have the same brand t-shirt at home and both the sizes are the same (so I thought it would fit me).

Anyway, I brought the t-shirt back to the shop on my lunch break today, folded in the same bag that I purchased it in with all of the tags still attached. I asked the guy would I exchange it for a smaller size or for something else (even if it was more expensive I would have added money to it.) He said that they don't except returns on sale items and that there was nothing he could do for me. I asked to see the manager but he said that she was not there and but she would be there tomorrow.

I am going to go back tomorrow and see what the manager says but I'm not sure of my consumer rights here. Is it actually legal for shops to claim that there are no returns on sale items?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

In your case yes it is legal. The fact that they accept returns on non-sale items for customers who change their mind is discretionary - they don't even have to do that.

If the garment was faulty they would have to accept the return as not to do so is in breach of your statutory rights. However, as it simply didn't fit when you got it home there is no breach of your rights here and they don't really have to do anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I concur, its the kindness of the shop to facilitate your purchasing of a wrong item. If it was fautly/ripped etc, thats another issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You can only get a refund or change when it is faulty or unfit for purpose. Just because you bought the wrong size, it doesnt mean you can take it back.

Go in again anyway and have a quiet chat with the manager. He may relent. If he does, it is a goodwill gesture but he doesnt have to do anything.

Finally. Do not go in shouting at him as he will only ignore you and tell you to get out.

Advertisement