Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunrise for C&C

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

will check this at home(in work now) but it looks a little dark, also you should have shot it vertically so you could have gotten more sky..

Will post later again

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

wonderful take. rock on the right side a little overpowering perhaps(?) but its a wonderful shot. well done. well worth the early start. love the mist/fog/delayed shutter/whatever on the water - sure it must have taken you hours to set up the flippin smoke machine ;o)

what are the 'dots' going across the bay/water in the background of the image? they look like bouys? I think you might clone them out to improve.

congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭leohoju

Thanks guys.
    dazftw wrote:
    will check this at home(in work now) but it looks a little dark, also you should have shot it vertically so you could have gotten more sky..

Will post later again

I've attached more or less the original shot, which shows a little more of the sky and is also that little bit brighter, but for me somehow looses that "early morning feel".
    AnCatDubh wrote:
    what are the 'dots' going across the bay/water in the background of the image? they look like bouys? I think you might clone them out to improve.

Yes, those are indeed buoys floating across the water. My Photoshop skills aren't up to much and I'm none too sure how to clone them out though.

unfortunately not a photoshop head here - more paint shop pro chancer (poor relation - heheh) and at very early stages of learning the Gimp (like - i've downloaded it and can open it up ;-) but the clone on this shouldn't be overly difficult given you have good spaces to work with and the areas are quite minute to clone out. maybe google a tutorial or someone here may be able to assist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

very nice, love the foggy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Great shot, I really love the fog around it.

Would be interesting to play around with it in Photoshop and maybe try out some HDR on the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

You wouldn't catch me getting out of bed before the sun rises, fair play to ya!

Can you say a bit more about how you went about composing it, maybe? I'm struggling with the big rock on the right dominating the image. I think there's something lovely in the misty little bit of land with the lights coming in to the left in the distance though. The smaller rocks in the sea are in a nice little line, but they lead your eye to the horizon, and then pretty much out the sid eof the frame. Did you try any other compositions at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Nice shot & lovely colours. Perhaps a longer exposure might have given the sea a milkier texture which would have suited the image? Also either HDR or ND grad filter could have brought out a little more detail in the sky?

Winters wrote:
    Great shot, I really love the fog around it.
    Thanks.

That effect is thanks to the relatively long exposure time (5 seconds at f/22.0).
    elven wrote:
    Can you say a bit more about how you went about composing it, maybe? I'm struggling with the big rock on the right dominating the image.

I have a couple of other shots from the morning as well, but this was the only one where I really got that milky effect for the sea. I'll put some of the others up on the Flickr soon though. Minus the offending rock of course! :)
    TJM wrote:
    Perhaps a longer exposure might have given the sea a milkier texture which would have suited the image?

That was my other problem, running very low on batteries when I decided to do this and was far, far away from my charger, so I didn't do too much in the way of super long exposures. A good excuse for me to head back though (Nerja in Spain by the way).

leohoju wrote:
    That effect is thanks to the relatively long exposure time (5 seconds at f/22.0).

Apologies in advance if this is a rather daft question but what was your thinking at f/22.0? - to facilitate intentional longer shutter speed maybe(?)

Cheers.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote:
    Apologies in advance if this is a rather daft question but what was your thinking at f/22.0? - to facilitate intentional longer shutter speed maybe(?)

Cheers.

That's exactly it. I wasn't getting the milky/foggy effect on the water I was looking for with faster shutter speeds.

Advertisement