Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it cost effective to Buy a bike from Japan?

Options
  • 10-09-2007 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Anyone ever tried to do this privately? Ive been looing at some websites, and the bikes are dirt cheap at auction, They do say however that it would be cheaper for shipping by container if you buy 10 :-) I only want one though :-)

Ill do it myself, if cost effective, but if not, maybe down the road, if we could get a few lads together, we could buy 10....

Not to cause trouble or anything, but the Jap Import dealers here are making a killing if Im reading right, but then again, they have to service them and put of with customers etc....

This is one of the sites ive been looking at http://www.aisha.co.jp/used_motorbikes_japanese_motorcycles.htm

Any thoughts, experence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

After importing one though, you'll need to look at doing a complete service, changing tyres, re-aligning lights (although Japan drives on the LHS, so shouldn't be an issue, unless the bike comes from China or Korea).

You'll also have the whole registration and VRT thing to do.. It all adds up..
    Also, having never seen the bike, as soon as you take it out of the crate (notice I didn't say wheel it out of the crate!) you are taking 100% of the risk that it might be some botched together P.O.S.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yup Id agree that buying unseen is a huge risk. The grey importers usually have someone in Japan to pick their bikes for them. And still you might get a few dodgy ones in the container. (Non runners, rust filled tank etc)

You could make a killing on this or you could be just pouring your money down the drain.

Advertisement