Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apperature question

Options
  • 10-09-2007 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭

took my 50 mm lens into town to take a few shots yesterday , the light was reasonable -- but fealt the shots lacked a bit of punch / sharpness

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/

my question is , when shooting street stuff , where you have little time to reset apperature , what would you pre-set it to , accorinding to the book it is F8 (don't care) but i think this is too low.
    Or if doing street stuff , would you just set camera to P mode , and let the camera do the work , thats what i ended up doing but as i say a few lacked a lot of sharpness -- and many were thrown away .
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

depends on what shutter speed you were getting with the f8 and the ISO you had chosen. If the light was low the shutter may have not been fast enough. You can alter the exposure by one of two things either higher your ISO or make your aperature wider (smaller f number).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

For street stuff, I'd normally use AV mode, and set the camera at f/5.6. With the weekend dull sky, I'd use ISO 400 or 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

thebaz, maybe you could compare the sets of EXIF data of ones you thought worked with P and ones which didn't work with AV and see what the differences were in shutter speeds and ISO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thebaz wrote:
    my question is , when shooting street stuff , where you have little time to reset apperature , what would you pre-set it to , accorinding to the book it is F8 (don't care) but i think this is too low.
    shooting MF, i'd set it to a high aperture if i knew i wasn't going to have much time to focus, but wider than that if time wasn't a constraint - to throw the background out of focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i usually try to keep iso at lowest setting during reasonable or good day light conditions , maybe i should try upping it from 200 to 400 , on average days -- and Paul as you suggest i might begin lowering my "don't care" apperature from 8 to 5.6 on a reasonable day like yesterday -- doing street stuff on a crowded street like grafton street , you need to be fast , and have your apperature pre-set -- the shutter speed can be quicky set on my camera (nikon d50)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I think the great thing about the 50mm is f1.8 or probably f2.0, dont worry too much about settings...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Aperture priority and changed accordingly to previzualized scene. The rule is - there are no rules :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Borderfox wrote:
    I think the great thing about the 50mm is f1.8 or probably f2.0, dont worry too much about settings...

yesterday was the first day i experimented with the 50 -- street stuff has to be fast , so i set it to p , and i feal they look flat , it was above 5.6 -- more experimenting at 5.6 and under i guess -- i like using manual now, but its easier to change shutter speed -- thats why i was looking for a decent apperature start point - rather than having to bin a load of stuff as i did yesterday

Advertisement