Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the most difficult?

Options
  • 10-09-2007 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people find to be the most difficult living wild thing to photograph in this country be it birds bees or anything in between,

From my own completely amateurish attempts I'd have to say stoats and second place would be wrens they both kinda move like their on speed never keep still.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Hummingbirds, definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Children.

Failing that, I've been trying to get a dragon fly in flight for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Bats,

You should try it some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I'd have to elaborate on that & say, bats in flight.
    Also the Kingfisher.
    Beautiful bird but too damn fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

probably the Yeti...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

:d :d

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Hummingbirds .... ah the frustration. Almost 700 images and only 5-6 that were even half good. But, I did manage 2 that I thought were good in the end. :D

KingFisher are certainly on my list. I've seen 2 around but they just go by so fast and I haven't yet seen them sit still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I’ve been trying to catch a hedgehog for ages!

They don’t move very fast but they are d*mn hard to find. I know where they are, I’ve tried covering myself up, leaving out food etc…just haven’t gotten lucky enough let.

Course my sister-in-laws Ozzy husband, while staying here on holidays, found one on his first night. Go figure…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Do we actually have hummingbirds in Ireland? Or are we talking captive examples?

I don't think we've any humming birds in Ireland. My photos were taken in Arizona.

This is the best I managed.

1354091469_92c46145a8_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Roen wrote:
    Do we actually have hummingbirds in Ireland?

Whatever about hummingbirds, we certainly don't have any Yeti, despite what people say about the men of Leitrim. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

loads of people think we don't have mosquitoes in ireland; we do, as the last few weeks has made apparent.
    and st. patrick didn't drive the snakes out of ireland, we have a native species.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

loads of people think we don't have mosquitoes in ireland; we do, as the last few weeks has made apparent.
    and st. patrick didn't drive the snakes out of ireland, we have a native species.

Ah cmon, politicians don't count! :D

st. patrick didn't drive the snakes out of ireland, we have a native species.

We do? I've never heard of any, and after doing a websearch, I still can't find any reference to them. Of course, we're not the only island in the world to not have any native snakes, but we are listed as the only European country without any native snakes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oops, maybe it's lizards, rather than snakes.

my bad - it's the viviparous lizard.

my bad - it's the viviparous lizard.

Off you go to photograph one of them for us... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

we have slow worms in this country their legless lizards their thought to be an introduced species and can be 19-20 inches long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

Well around me there are no humming birds, I've been trying to capture a swallow in flight, which amounted to lots and lots of crap going to the recycling bin. Now I know you can snap them on wires and going in and out of nest's, what I wanted was a swallow flying/hovering and as they only eat "on the fly" you can't tempt them to ground/table. You need good light, a flash and either take your chance with a manual focus and hope for the best or a super duper auto focus system.

The closest I got was this:

Delivery for Mr. B Swallow ?

1359396200_1b400effac.jpg

Shutter 1/800, ISO 200, F5.6, 430 Canon Flash (i think)
    You can still see the wing blur at 1/800, I had to go up to 1/1250 to "freeze" the wings.

Not a great photo due to the dark background, that's the other thing they always find a bloody dark spot to sit where your viewing options are severely limited.

But if you find their "perch" you can get something like this:

Death to all wasps!

1359391952_28b2de056f_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Muineach wrote:
    But if you find their "perch" you can get something like this:

Death to all wasps!

1359391952_28b2de056f_b.jpg

That I really like... very nice.

I've had a lot of hassle staking out woodpeckers recently, I can hear the little buggers in a wee forest near me, but they stop knocking as soon as I get within 25m, plus they tend to stay very high in the trees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement