Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Help Req..

Options
  • 09-09-2007 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I am getting a replacment Laptop,
    I am interested in Video editing and already have a dell 9300 but its acting up.

Does anyone know of a laptop with a sata connector to allow an external sata 2 drive to be connected ?

I am happy to deal with dell but am open to other suggestions.

Big internal drive and fast processor a must..

Any help in choosing appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Find a laptop that suits and just connect your external SATA drive via USB. Put it in a USB enclosure if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Soundman wrote:
    Find a laptop that suits and just connect your external SATA drive via USB. Put it in a USB enclosure if you need to.

I have the sata2 drive in an external case already, I want the sata connector for speed purposes !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sunny2004 wrote:
    I have the sata2 drive in an external case already, I want the sata connector for speed purposes !

Best you will get is a USB->Sata connector. I don't know of any Desktops, never mind laptops that have external Sata connectors.

tom dunne wrote:
    Best you will get is a USB->Sata connector. I don't know of any Desktops, never mind laptops that have external Sata connectors.

I have a desktop with external sata. granted I built the unit myself :)

Just wanted to know if any of the new Laptops have sata connectors externally..................

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sunny2004 wrote:
    Just wanted to know if any of the new Laptops have sata connectors externally..................

I would be extremely surprised if there was such a laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could always get something like this.

Cheers man,
    Was in fact looking at the same thing different place.

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adexc34-2e.asp

I wonder if they run at full speed ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sunny2004 wrote:
    Cheers man,
    Was in fact looking at the same thing different place.

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adexc34-2e.asp

I wonder if they run at full speed ?

I don't know, I'd love to find out though. I'd say it would be a good deal faster than firewire anyways.

Advertisement