Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutoring

Options
  • 09-09-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I know that there is a sticky regarding grinds and the like but my query concerns how to become a tutor specifically in an Institute or University. The subjects that I'm interested in are the ones that I got my best results in for my Honours Degree. Contact colleges directly or is there anyone I should specifically contact?

Info appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

nellyshark wrote:
    I know that there is a sticky regarding grinds and the like but my query concerns how to become a tutor specifically in an Institute or University. The subjects that I'm interested in are the ones that I got my best results in for my Honours Degree. Contact colleges directly or is there anyone I should specifically contact?

Info appreciated

Each university and even faculty/department will have different criteria and ways of recruiting tutors. Contact the subject department of the university or institute directly. I'd imagine it would be too late for this academic year though.

Edit: Did you mean tutor in the sense of giving grinds specifically to university students as opposed to a tutor employed by the dapartment to give tutorials? In that case, the best thing to do is just to put notices up around the university, and hope some students call you! Hope some of this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Thanks,

I'm looking for anything to get my foot in the door really. When I was in college we were assigned classes that had students from saying a masters or whatever teaching us and they were getting paid some serious money.

Thanks for the response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

nellyshark wrote:
    Thanks,

I'm looking for anything to get my foot in the door really. When I was in college we were assigned classes that had students from saying a masters or whatever teaching us and they were getting paid some serious money.

Thanks for the response

It's possibly worth noting that, like so many teaching jobs, those jobs pay by the contact hour rather than the actual amount of time you spend on the job (preparing stuff, correcting assignments or essays, sometimes having to attend the lectures for the courses you're providing tutorials in or whatever) so that the 'serious money' is not quite as great as it might initially seem.

Afaik, many of the universities give those kinds of tutoring jobs to students who are doing post-grad work (ideally a PhD) within the college rather than to outside candidates, at least where possible. Worth getting in touch with individual departments, though.

To build up some teaching experience you might want to look at the Open University's tutor ('associate lecturer') thing - http://www3.open.ac.uk/employment/associate-lecturers/main_1.shtm - as well as places looking for people to teach evening classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

claire h wrote:
    It's possibly worth noting that, like so many teaching jobs, those jobs pay by the contact hour rather than the actual amount of time you spend on the job (preparing stuff, correcting assignments or essays, sometimes having to attend the lectures for the courses you're providing tutorials in or whatever) so that the 'serious money' is not quite as great as it might initially seem.

Sadly, this is very true. The money's really quite bad when you factor all this in. ;) As regards tutoring in general, I'd just contact the departments directly. It is true that the jobs generally go to their own postgraduates. If you are an alumnus with at least a Masters, and thinking of/intending to pursue further postgraduate research, then they might consider you. I'd imagine it's really too late for this academic year though.

Advertisement