Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for part time lecturing

Options
  • 09-09-2007 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I’m just finishing my masters in Education and currently looking to cut my teeth on some part time lecturing. My previous degree was in MIS and my work background is business management and strategy, HR and training.

The sticky containing websites for this type of work has drawn a blank (after several attempts).

Would anyone have suggestions for third level colleges looking to register new part time lecturers in these fields.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Lawdie wrote:
    Would anyone have suggestions for third level colleges looking to register new part time lecturers in these fields.
    Cheers

I'm afraid you may have missed the boat on this one for this Academic year. With most colleges starting back in the next week or two, interviews for part-time posts would have been held a while back.

There is no website, other than the college website. Pretty much all of them advertise positions on their own websites, so start there. Other than that, watch the papers or the normal job websites (e.g Irishjobs.ie, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Cheers Tom, I'm not in any rush so I can wait!
    What about guest lecturing how is that arranged?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

While Tom is right about the new academic semester just about to start, my experience has been that for a variety of reasons not all courses are allocated for the entire year by now, or the allocations need to change. Therefore we [my University] need people for second semester cover. We tend to get part-time people in to cover a specific module at an hourly rate, rather than a traditional part-time contract for x hours per week for 1 year… In my university such part-time adjunct positions are never advertised and are always word of mouth / who you know, etc. So it may be possible for you to get some work in second semester Jan/Feb 08 on wards.
    We tend to use people we know and it is reasonably informal, until HR and contracts get involved. I am not sure how much freedom Heads have in the IT’s, but heads in University sector have a lot in this respect. So I would suggest you approach the Head of School in the first instance. Talk to your contacts, your masters supervisor, etc. Basically its not too late, but probability may be low.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

H2G2 wrote:
    In my university such part-time adjunct positions are never advertised and are always word of mouth / who you know, etc. So it may be possible for you to get some work in second semester Jan/Feb 08 on wards.
    We tend to use people we know and it is reasonably informal, until HR and contracts get involved.

You know what, I am going to backtrack a little, as that is exactly how I got my current position - word of mouth. Generally, though, the ITs do have to advertise and create panels.

In my case, it helped that the person who supervised my MSc is also head of the department of computing where I do my part-time hours. :)

But still, I got a job in a different IT through a newspaper advertisement.

I've a few contacts to make. I know some people in DCU, UCD and DBS.
    Tom, I did keep an eye on college and job sites but very few advertisements.
    Some colleges ask you to register onto a panel, which is fair.

I've just moved roles to business development strategy, so not getting caught up for developing course work is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Out of interest Laudie what masters in education did you do?

Also consider accounting bodies and professional training companies too who need people to lecture in strategy.

JCB wrote:
    Out of interest Laudie what masters in education did you do?

Hey JCB, it was the Msc in Education and Training management (leadership) with DCU.

I thought about training companies etc. But most of these conflict with my current role.

Advertisement