Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast - Ryanair -v- Aer Lingus

Options
  • 08-09-2007 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering if Ryanairs intention to use Belfast City as a hub has a bearing on their reaction to Aer Lingus setting up in Belfast International.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/6982165.stm
    Airline boss's overnight invite

A Holywood woman has said Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary should spend a night at her house.

Nicola Marks was speaking after it was announced that George Best Belfast City Airport wants to extend its runway.

This is to allow Ryanair to fly to more European destinations from the airport, which is located in east Belfast.

"When my children were wee I had to bring them downstairs. Due to the noise they couldn't get to sleep at night," said Ms Marks.

"I don't think he'd like to live here. There are already flights after 9pm at night and they're in a queue."

The Couty Down woman said that any increase in services should be through the more rural Belfast International Airport.

As well as three previously announced European routes, Ryanair has said it would be offering four daily flights to London Stansted at the George Best Belfast City Airport.

However, Chief Executive Michael O'Leary says this is dependent on the changes to the runway.

Mr O'Leary added that residents who fear further annoyance should be aware of the new quieter aircraft his company plans to use.

'Brand new'

"Ryanair will fly in here with the brand new Boeing 737-800 series aircraft," he said.

"This is the quietest, most fuel efficient aircraft flying in Europe today."

Ryanair says it plans to make Belfast one of its operations bases, something which could see new jobs created.

A judicial review of a cap on the total number of passengers that can travel through George Best Belfast City Airport is due to take place soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

When my children were wee I had to bring them downstairs. Due to the noise they couldn't get to sleep at night,

Say this with a thick northern accent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Say this with a thick northern accent

People in Holywood have refined northern accents, don't you know.

Advertisement