Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop LCD backlight replacement

Options
  • 07-09-2007 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

I have a fujitsu Siemeins Laptop now for a good few years thats really only used now for net acess at home as a permanent fixture..

It's on 24 hours a day... and now I think the backlight has failed on the lcd screen... there is still a ghost image on the screen and if i shine a light on it i can see the desktop and move the mouse around. An audio cd still works so I'm pretty sure it;s the "backlight"

Has anyone ever replaced one of these or is there somewhere i can uy one of these. I'e got some quotes for repair of the laptop but it's just not worth spending the money on.

Advice appreciated..

Cheapskate :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Same problem here with a HP Omnibook. It's 5 years old and I think it would work out better to buy a new laptop rather than replace the backlight. The battery has also been dead for a few years so I have to keep it powered by mains.

Just wondering what kind of quotes you got for having the backlight replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

Backlight repair is a very awkward job, but is possible if you are patient and careful. You will also need a small bit of soldering experience or at least a steady hand.

Have a look here if you want to pick up parts and do a search on google for photographed examples of backlight replacement, it should prepare you a bit for the operation. :)
    http://www.laptopsockets.co.uk/backlights/Backlights.htm

Also be careful that its not the backlight inverter unit that has failed, as often this failure causes the same symptoms as backlight failure, also inverters are more expensive but much easier replace than the backlight themselves.

Its definitely worth dismantling the screen enclosure of the laptop to check all cables are secure and also to take note of any part numbers and checking for prices of inverter units on ebay. It will save you a lot of money compared to sending the laptop to a repair shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

Guides here give some details on how to carry out the process, especially the second, kinda shows how delicate the repair is, not trying to put you off, just letting you know what you are in for. :)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=131244&highlight=inverter

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11099028~days=10~start=40

Best of luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Thanks Cougar,

I'll open it and pray it's just a loose connection. Failing that I'll keep it running through a spare monitor and pick up another laptop when funds allow.

Advertisement