Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Advice On Camera Replacement Please

Options
  • 07-09-2007 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I have an ageing Fuji s5000 which I hope to replace soon. It has served me well, and never given any trouble. Always produced excellent quality. My main requirement (as I'm not exactly what you'd call an enthusiast) is a camera that delivers very good quality pictures under both indoor and outdoor conditions with as little fuss as possible.

I'm also looking at doing a basic photography course, as I'm not really up on Film speed, exposure, etc. I'm looking at a Canon 400D on http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324991 for €700 delivered. Anyone any opinions on this? I realise, from reviews, that the supplied lens is not that great, but I suppose it would do for now.

It's almost €900 in the High Street, so seems to be a good bargain.

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It's possible that there will be huge amount of those cameras as "second hand" ones.
    Don't be in a hurry. It is very good camera - good choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

I have a Nikon D50 its robust, easy to use and the quality of pictures are good. You could get one of these at reasonable money at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The Canon 400D is a great camera, and good value. Many boards users have it.

It has some great functions and very good reviews. You won't go wrong with it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The 400D is a great camera. (I have its predecessor the 350D)
    Have a look at Kea on Ebay. You can get yourself the body with a decent lens there for good money. Its a popular choice of the posters here.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Canon-400D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-ONLY-Kit-NEW-8E_W0QQitemZ200147721743QQihZ010QQcategoryZ31388QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Canon-EF-S-17-85mm-17-85-f-4-5-6-IS-USM-Lens-NEW-0R_W0QQitemZ200147721612QQihZ010QQcategoryZ30070QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Thanks very much for all the advice everyone.

Cheers,

Freddie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

The Nikon D40(x) is pretty good too (and their kit lens is much better than the Canon's) - check out my flickr page to see what one can do with the D40 (some shot with the 55-200mm VR)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Thirdfox wrote:
    The Nikon D40(x) is pretty good too (and their kit lens is much better than the Canon's) - check out my flickr page to see what one can do with the D40 (some shot with the 55-200mm VR)

All I can say is WOW!:eek: What quality photographs. I don't see myself being in that league somehow.:o I'm just a regular user who likes the quality to be very good. Photographic knowledge (although 30+ years at it) very limited.

Lol - I just hope to show you what a complete beginner can do with a D40 (30 years experience will result in much better photos than mine :) )

I think that most cameras (whether they be Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony etc etc.) will do a great job nowadays (the competition is that fierce). You wouldn't be disappointed with a 400D or a D40 or a E410....

Also you need to think about investing in postprocessing software (Photoshop CS3 is out). Most photos you see are processed in the computer in some form or other.

Good luck with making your decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Thirdfox wrote:
    The Nikon D40(x) is pretty good too (and their kit lens is much better than the Canon's)

Do bear in mind though that the reason you buy the package isn't for the kit lens. All kit lenses are awful when compared to some of the higher priced glass out there. Buy the better body from day one and then follow that on soon after with a couple of quality lenses. Not saying either that you're going to have to spend a few K to get decent lenses mind you...

The 18-55II by Nikon certainly is quite good from 18-35, I wouldn't call it awful when compared to even the 17-55 f2.8 (especially in relation to size and weight!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement