Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transfers

Options
  • 07-09-2007 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Im sure this has probably been asked before, but sure, Ill ask it again!!

K, so I missed out on my 1st and 2nd choice by 10 points, but was offered my third (Social Work) The only thing is Im not really sure if social work is for me anymore...I sent some subjects back to get rechecked and try and get the points, but in case that dosent work, my back up is to get a transfer to another course within Trinity...preferably an Arts course.

I have my eye on History and Irish, which I have the points for...but Im wondering how easy it would be for me to change...does it happen often? I read up on it and it says it would be ok if there is sufficiant sspace...but surely all the places in the courses are filled?? Im so confused...someone please help!! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

If you get the points as a result of an upgrade or a change in points, the possibilities are:

a - there is 'space' for you and you can move into the course you now qualify for

b - there is 'no space' for you but they reserve a place in October 2008 for you (tends to happen in subjects where there are strict rules on numbers, e.g. where there is a lot of lab or practice work and there are health and safety or practical considerations on taking an extra body on board)

c - you decide to stay with your original offer.

In practice, if someone gets upgraded and is now qualified for a course, a place will be made available for them if possible (the student is considered 'entitled' to it so they'll add on an extra space if they can). Drop a note to Bartley, the Education Officer in the Students' Union who is the expert on this sort of stuff - sueducat@tcd.ie or 6468439 will get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

And on the question of transferring to a course that you do have the points for but didn't apply for initially. There's some flexibility especially if you are interested in the area and can catch up on anything you miss; people do move in and out of courses once the year has started so that's often where the spaces come from. There's a 'first deadline' of week 2 of term where they just look at points, timetables and availability : definitely put in for that if it's what you want to do (but they won't even read the applications until the end of week 2 so there's no advantage to getting it in waaaay early - all are treated equally). After that, applications are dealt with as they are received and that's where the interest/ability to catchup is a factor (cause the department you're transferring into has to approve, so they'd often have an informal chat with you about it).

Again, Bartley can offer advice/pointers, and when you get into TCD, you'll also have a tutor (a member of academic staff assigned to assist you with this sort of thing) who can talk to you about your options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bartron Prime

Hi lilmizzme,

Introductions first I suppose (it may be conventional but what the hell). I'm Bartley Rock (Actual name. Honestly) and I'm the Education Officer with the Students' Union in TCD. My job is to help and advise students in situations similar to yourself. In essence, consider me your Chief Nerd for the year. Firstly, don't worry about feeling that the course you're down for is no longer for you. It happens to many people every year. It can be a bit scary and confusing when you deicde you that a certain course isn't what you expected or wanted but don't worry, it's actually not that scary a process. The important thing is that you find something in college that makes you happy as it's your degree.

Firstly, the way the CAO works is that all the available places for a course quite often aren't filled in Round One. This is because when they set the points for a course it's based on an average of the points total of those who applied. They then prioritise those who wanted that course and scored above that level (working from highest down). However, they may have had another course at a higher preference so they aren't offered that course. Thus, not all places get filled. So, they're offered in Round Two. But, not all the spaces are filled there either due to people declining the offer or transferring out of that course itself on Round Two.

If you're having subjects rechecked and your results change and you become eligible for a course of a higher preference and there's spaces available, you will be offered that course. If you decide to take it, it doesn't matter if it's in another college, your details will be transferred. So, don't rule anything out on the basis of re-checks.

As for transferring internally, you can indeed do that. The only prequisites are that A) you have the CAO points and B) there are spaces available. As not all places may have been filled (as I explained above) or people may have transferred out, you should never assume that a course is full. You MUST apply for a transfer through your Tutor by the end of Week Two (19th October 2007). For a really simple guide to the process, go here.

I hope this answers your questions. Don't forget, my office in House 6 is always open (Sleeping? Nuts to that concept) so either during Freshers' Week or Week One, call up and we can discuss all the options. The main thing is to try not to worry about it. Changing course is possible and is done by lots of students every year. So, best of luck and stay frosty,

Bartley

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Thanks a million Bartley and xEduCat....really appreciate the advice...really needed that bit of reassurance that I havent messed up my first year completely!!

Ill drop into the office during freshers week...Ill be the one woth the look of sheer terror and bewilderment on my face!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

lilmizzme wrote:
    Im sure this has probably been asked before, but sure, Ill ask it again!!

K, so I missed out on my 1st and 2nd choice by 10 points, but was offered my third (Social Work) The only thing is Im not really sure if social work is for me anymore...I sent some subjects back to get rechecked and try and get the points, but in case that dosent work, my back up is to get a transfer to another course within Trinity...preferably an Arts course.

I have my eye on History and Irish, which I have the points for...but Im wondering how easy it would be for me to change...does it happen often? I read up on it and it says it would be ok if there is sufficiant sspace...but surely all the places in the courses are filled?? Im so confused...someone please help!! :(

You won't get a History TSM place..it didn't drop in points, and was on random selection for both rounds. There is no place. Unless loads of them want transfers as well! I want History TSM..I'm 15 points off and I've lost hope at this stage..I looked at my papers and should have gotten the 510 though, bahh. But try anyway for a transfer to it.

Would you consider Irish Studies? It's points are 375, so you're in basically. It has History, Literature, language and Genetics in it's course outline. It's what I accepted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Ah sure, fingers crossed anyways....hoping to jump 10 points with rechecks to get into english and history...already have the points for History and Irish, so maybe I might just sweet talk my tutor....beg him even!!

Wouldnt be really interested in pure Irish to be honest, nothing against the course, just wouldnt be for me!

lilmizzme wrote:
    Ill drop into the office during freshers week...Ill be the one woth the look of sheer terror and bewilderment on my face!! :D

If you're looking to transfer into a course be wise and toddle along to some of the lectures (not labs as there are health, safety & insurance problems) to see what the course is like. It's possibly the best way to figure out what a course is like, albeit in the start instead of how it'll turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

You won't get a History TSM place..it didn't drop in points, and was on random selection for both rounds. There is no place. Unless loads of them want transfers as well! I want History TSM..I'm 15 points off and I've lost hope at this stage..I looked at my papers and should have gotten the 510 though, bahh. But try anyway for a transfer to it.

Would you consider Irish Studies? It's points are 375, so you're in basically. It has History, Literature, language and Genetics in it's course outline. It's what I accepted!
    Genetics? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Pet wrote:
    Genetics? Seriously?
    I was a little confused too, so looked it up. It's true apparently:
    The course will also include other such subjects as an introduction to genetics and DNA testing which will involve genetic research of the population patterns in prehistoric and medieval Ireland, their genealogies and the historical implications of these results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Dude!

• Advertisement

lebowskipic1.jpg

Edit: Just realised that the background looks quite like my avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

I am currently repeating Leaving Cert to get Medicine. In the really bad circumstances of me not getting Medicine(again) and going straight to another course such HEALTH & LIFE SCIENCES will I be able to at some stage transfer to Medicine or change my course to medicine.

Is there any hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

shamoono wrote: »
    I am currently repeating Leaving Cert to get Medicine. In the really bad circumstances of me not getting Medicine(again) and going straight to another course such HEALTH & LIFE SCIENCES will I be able to at some stage transfer to Medicine or change my course to medicine.

Is there any hope?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

No.

Actually, I'm doing Biomedical, Health & Life Sciences and I happen to know that there's a girl in my year in negotations with our programme co-ordinator about transferring into pre-med. Not sure how it's going but maybe try e-mailing to find out if it's possible?

There was a rumour going around that the top student/s in Biomed after 1st year get offered a place in Medicine but since that student was me, I can confirm that this does not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Hotaru wrote: »
    Actually, I'm doing Biomedical, Health & Life Sciences and I happen to know that there's a girl in my year in negotations with our programme co-ordinator about transferring into pre-med. Not sure how it's going but maybe try e-mailing to find out if it's possible?

There was a rumour going around that the top student/s in Biomed after 1st year get offered a place in Medicine but since that student was me, I can confirm that this does not happen.
    Just for clarity, this refers to UCD's Biomedical course and not necessarily to Trinity's HH&D course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Kwekubo wrote: »
    Just for clarity, this refers to UCD's Biomedical course and not necessarily to Trinity's HH&D course.

Yes, sorry should've made that clear. Stumbled across this post but I see it's also been posted in the UCD forum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

No.
    No.

Advertisement