Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Singopore

Options
  • 07-09-2007 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone has been in Singopore shopping for camera gear? Any tips? Heding there next year for our honeymoon and would be keen to get a camera upgrade if poss, Maybe Nikon D200???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Well it is a very long time since I was shopping for Electronics there but ... from what I remember head to Orchard Street ... somewhere along its very long length is a shopping mall bigger than Stephen's Green Shopping Centre devoted entirely to electronics ...

Other than that I can only give you standard advice such as -
    • Know exactly what you want before going shopping and don't be persueded otherwise ...
    • If buying multiple items get the shopkeeper to individually price the full package of items before starting to haggle ... it is silly agreeing a great price on a d200 body... but then getting ripped on lens, memory, spare battery, camera case etc.
    • Know the price of stuff via the internet and bring this with you to aid in your haggling ... a printout from B&H usually does the trick ... or one of the Singapore ebayers ...
    • They will try to sell you lots of extra crap when buying for instance a camera ... this is usually where they really make their money ... since you won't really know the value of it ... probably won't need it ... however, you can use this to your advantage ...
    • Watch for dodgy dealings ... such as demonstating one thing but putting something else in the bag when you purchase ... test everything when you buy it in the shop ... note that with Cameras you are not allow to use the shutter until the purchase is complete since this makes it second hand ... but test it all the same ...
    • Don't be afraid to walk away from a deal there are plenty of shops selling the same crap everywhere ... in fact I'd nearly recommend a trial run first just for fun ... and forget the fact that the guy selling is a nice chap ... this is a business deal ...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

excellent advise, thanks a million fella!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

also, when haggling, start at a price YOU think is right. whats put out is NOT what you can get it for, or even close half the time. start off at about 1/5 or 2/5's of what they're charging, work from there. know what is the highest you want to pay, and if they wont give, start to walk away. I guarentee within seconds you'll get your price, as they know once you're gone, thats it. you can get it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Sim Lim Square is where you wanna go, just get off the MRT at the Burgis station and you cant miss it, its along the river.

I spent a day in there and was very tempted by loads of things from lens to laptops, but didnt actually buy anything, but had loads of fun haggling with them, some of them were just out to rip dumb tourists off, but others were pretty cool. One thing I did notice was things got cheaper the higher the floor I was on, so the ground floor shops displayed everything very well, but had the worst prices and the upper floors were less appealing but were much cheaper?? Also, your just around the corner from little India, where I had some of the best curries I've ever tasted!!

S.

PS. If your not into haggling, pop into a "Best Denki" and save yourself the hassle, it wont be as cheap, but it will be a bargain and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Sounds fantastic folks, thanks again for your tips. With D300 coming out i hope to get a D200 for good money me thinks.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

No help for you, but I had a Singaporean colleague and he used to bring a short shopping list each time he went home (couple of times a year). Never got him to get me anything but the prices he could get were great compared to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

When haggling in an asian market be prepared to walk out. they will follow you. The best way to get an idea of the price is set fixed price say 700 in the first shop 800 in the second and so on till they chase you. when they come after you you know you are in the ball park. Unlike Ireland they will take a small margin as long as they make a profit. Another trick is get friendly with a staff member in the hotel or bar, better if its a female and take them to do the haggling. The women do all the shopping in asia and they are tough hagglers. I have saved a fortune this way. It amazes me how much a local can save you. On a recent visit to China I was looking to buy an Ipod the best price i could get was 200 the local got it for 150. As someone else said research is critical know what you want and how much you are willing to spend, beware as forgeries are everywhere. I have seen near perfect copies of creative mp3 players. Which I was about to buy till some pointed out the difference.

Advertisement