Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortest Route to Donegal Town?

Options
  • 07-09-2007 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Have done this drive a few times and usually go the Sligo road as the road is quite good but still takes the guts of 3.5 hours, just wondering if anyone can manage to do this drive in a shorter time going another way?

and i dont mean by speeding!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

well now, i suppose it all depends on where you're coming from? might be useful to mention that now hey?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You could try going through the North. AA route planner recommends Monaghan->Omagh->Strabane/Lifford->Donegal (3 hours)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

dereko1969 wrote:
    well now, i suppose it all depends on where you're coming from? might be useful to mention that now hey?

Most likely Dublin. Sure there’s no such thing as a culchie logging into boards.ie. There’s also no need for a Dub to put 01 in front of their phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

FrCilly wrote:
    Sure there’s no such thing as a culchie logging into boards.ie.

Sure their stubby fat fingers can't use keyboards ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Stark wrote:
    Sure their stubby fat fingers can't use keyboards ;)

Sorry, I’ll have to come back to you with a response. I can’t concentrate without the smell of slurry in the air.

[Apologies in relation to Coutrywises request, but you should think of this when writing your original query]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ooo you naughty people.....signed angry from Cork

but actually a blow-in from near London :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Hey,

Have done this drive a few times and usually go the Sligo road as the road is quite good but still takes the guts of 3.5 hours, just wondering if anyone can manage to do this drive in a shorter time going another way?

and i dont mean by speeding!

Anytime I travel that part of the world, I go from Dublin via N3 to Belturbet. From here I follow the road to Derrylin and Enniskillen. From here, there is three options...

1) Stay on the main road to Ennskillen, enter the town and follow the signs ad main road to Belleck, Ballyshannon and Donegal town.
    2) Take a left at the roundable before Enniskillen via Letterbreen to Belleck.
    3) At Bellinaleck, take a left at the petrol station (It is signposted Letterbreen and Florencecourt) and head on this road. It is a back road but is dead straight with a good surface and will bring you quickly into Blacklion and Belcoo and meets up with route 2.

Route 3 is shortest and is quite handy; I got it from the AA site and a close friend also uses it (He lives in Ballinatra so travels it regular). It is also very picturescue and you will pick up speed on it pretty handy.
    Route 2 is slightly longer and less pretty but it's main road so you may feel more confident on it over a back road. As far as I know, some of the Bus Eireann Expressway services use this route.
    Route 1 is good if you want to stop for shops as Enniskillen isn't too bad for it but it's slow and winding towards the border on the Northern side. Enniskillen is also a traffic nightmare daytime, especially when the schools empty.

All 3 roads meet up at Belleck and will take you to the Ballyshannon by pass, you should be looking at 3 hours or so without breaking the limits.... or 6 hours if you drive a Cortina :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hamndegger wrote:
    1) Stay on the main road to Ennskillen, enter the town and follow the signs ad main road to Belleck, Ballyshannon and Donegal town.
    www.viamichelin.com suggests this one. 233km 03h16 Note it is Belleek, but look at the map attached, you actually pass through the adjacent Drumlisaleen.

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/ItiWGPerformPage?reinit=1&strStartCityCountry=EUR&strStartAddress=&strStartMerged=Dublin&strDestCityCountry=EUR&strDestAddress=&strDestMerged=Donegal&image2.x=35&image2.y=9#

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Victor wrote:
    www.viamichelin.com suggests this one. 233km 03h16 Note it is Belleek, but look at the map attached, you actually pass through the adjacent Drumlisaleen.

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that this route doesn't go through the village itself. :o

One thing for sure, Victor, I personally don't recommend it as it is neither quick, scenic or direct though it is technicially the main road from Dublin.

Advertisement