Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best credit Card to apply for?

Options
  • 07-09-2007 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭

I've been using an AIB VISA card for a few years and losing a fortune as I've been too lazy to switch to a card with a better rate.

What's the best card to switch to? I don't owe anything on my other card so I'm not interested in a balance transfer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Nicky

National Irish bank are best by a long way.

Interest rate is 8.5% - 10.5%

Interest is only charged on the balance AFTER the interest free period each month ends. With ALL other issuers you must pay off the balance in full to get the interest free. If you only pay a portion of the bill, then all purchase (including the ones paid off) are liable to interest from the day of purchase until the day paid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I think First Active offer the best introductory rate with 0% interest for the first nine months. However, Halifax is also worth considering for the best standard rate of interest at 9.5% APR and a six month 0% introductory rate.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Whatever about the best, avoid MBNA like the plague. Their interest starts immediately and they hit you with very hefty charges if you make a payment even one day lte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Permanent TSB have the best rates (AFAIK) if you buy stuff online in foreign currency or if you preload your credit card when going abroad to withdraw via ATM. 9.9% APR is one of the best rates available too.

PS my application was dropped in the post yesterday :)

I was with MBNA and their exchange rates were very poor. I never paid interest (I clear it every month) so can't comment about late fees etc.

Advertisement