Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade problem

Options
  • 06-09-2007 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have upgraded my brother in laws PC and I'm having trouble getting the system to stay running. It keeps turning off and won't turn back on for quite a while. i thought it may have been the power supply, but I swapped it and there is no change. It was suggested that something may be shorting and the PSU is turning it's self off to stop it from bursting into flames.

Basic info..
    Motherboard - 865GM2-LS MICRO ATX SOCKET 478 P4 SATA Motherboard
    2Ghz Celeron CPU 128/400/1.525v SL6HY SOCKET 478
    Cooling Fan Heatsink for Intel Pentium4 Socket 478 CPU
    1 x 1024MB PC2100 DDR 266 MHz RAM 64X8 Low Density Chip Configuration (High Compatibility)
    184 Pin, Gold Leads 2.5V CAS Latency (CL 2.5) Compatible with all DDR Boards Using PC2100, PC1600
    PSU - FSP 300-6-PNA(PF) output ....
    3.3v -15A
    +5v - 30A
    +12v - 15A
    +5vsb - 2A
    -5v - 0.3a
    -12v - 0.8a

ASUS V9560XT/TD 128MB video card

Nothing else plugged in.

I have checked the CPU and System temps in Bios (When running) and they got no higher than 48c & 31c respectively. System voltages seemed to be ok as well. While there the CPU and RAM seemed to be reporting as ok as well.

The funny thing is, the online manual seems to have a few errors in it. For example, the ram slots on the board are numbered from 1-4 starting nearest the CPU, but in the manual they are the other way around.

Does it matter which slot I put the 1GB RAM stick in? Have I got the CORRECT RAM?

I have also tried another 400w PSU tried all out the case as well. Tried without the RAM and Graphics card, same result.

Any pointers gratefully accepted.

Regards,

Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well the graphics card should be okay it is a GeForce FX 5600 with AGP8x/4x support and the motherboard supports AGP8x just not cards with 3.3v which it is unlikely to be.

The RAM well that could be a an issue maybe just a compatibility problem according to the website the board can handle up to DDR400 but with a 400Mhz FSB the RAM will run at DDR266 tops. The slot the RAM goes into should not matter either with a Celeron CPU.

Have you tried updating the bios of the motherboard as there is a 5.5 version on MSI's website and after the update be sure to power off and clear the CMOS.

If you access to any other RAM DDR333/400 try that ideally some Crucial RAM is the best for compatibility.

Last but not least dismantle the system and connect it up outside the case and see if the problem persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Thanks for the reply 8T8. I'll try that out tomorow and let you know the outcome. Only thing is I won't be able to get the DDR400 but can use some of the sam RAM from my own working PC.

Right,

Haven't done anything yet apart from reseat memory and CPU again.
    While I was reseating the CPU I noticed this, but I'm not sure if it would be causing the problem...

Groundheatsinkfan1.jpg?t=1189415360

Although it doesn't look like the actual wire is broken..

Groundheatsinkfan2.jpg?t=1189415438

Would this cause the problems I'm having?

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

No, that wont be the problem. But put some tape around it anyway, you dont want it shorting off something. I would seriously consider updrading or downgrading the motherboard bios. Try the ram in the slow closest to the cpu. And make sure all connctors from the pcu to the mobo are in securly.

Thanks for the prompt reply Anti.

I would try to upgrade the BIOS, but I have just tried to start it up after it has been sitting unplugged over the weekend and it's completely dead.
    Have made sure that all connections are ok. It only has the CPU, Heastsin/fan, RAM and graphics card on it. I have swapped the PSU for another know working one as well, same result. :(

Kevin

• Advertisement

Have you tried reseating the cmos? you can do this by a small jumper, or removing the small 1€ sized round battery from the board for a few mins.

I have reset the CMOS a few times, both by jumper and removing the battery.

I have an update though.....

UPDATE

I have managed to get hold of another compatible CPU and Motherboard.
    The CPU from the problem PC works fine on the other motherboard.
    The Motherboard from the problem PC does not work with the other CPU. (Tried with and without fan plugged in.)

Must be the motherboard then. Yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Looks like it :(

:(

Sorry for your loss.

No problem lads.

I have already mailed the bloke on Ebay that I got it off, who swears blind it was working when he was using it. I reminded him that I have 45 days from the date of purchase to lodge a complaint with paypal, that the goods were not working when I received it, but I would like to settle it amicably if he's prepared to refund before the time alloted runs out.
    No reply yet. Will give him another few days.

Now to look for another. :rolleyes:

P.S. Is bubble wrap any good as an antistatic covering?
    Maybe that was why it was not working.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

• Advertisement

:mad:

Not a happy bunny.

I have just installed the brand new PM8M-V motherboard with the same (Barebones) hardware as before, outside case on antistatic everything etc etc... Started it up ok, went into setup, checked temps fine, left to run to see if ok.
    TURNED OFF AFTER 10 MINS!!!!

After my previous tests with compatible mobo I must have got a duff motherboard mustn't I ??

:mad:

Kevin

Right,

Looks like a PSU problem. Changed for a 400W Q-Tec with higher voltages on the 12 and 5 volt rails. Ran fine for about 8 hours with a switch off/on after 6 hours.

Looking to upgrade the PSU as the motherboard has plenty of room for upgrading in the future.

Thinking EZCOOL 700W. Good choice?

Went for this in the end... Corsair Memory 450W ATX PS/2 SATA 12V

good psu that. i have the 620w version. No hassle with it at all.

PSUs are a mine field aren't they.
    Picked this one as it gives good current over a single 12v rail, Was looking at the higher wattage versions but wasn't to keen on dual/triple rail PSUs. :)

Upgrade is running fine now the new PSU in in. :)

I only have one problem remaining...

This was an upgrade from a PB OEM machine with a MS-6511 (Which was discussed before HERE)

I am unsure about the front panel USB fitting to the motherboard. The socket on the front USB cable is a 10 block with positions 3+10 empty. Should there be any problem as they are both MSI boards?
    According to the manual for the PM8M-V the pin 3 for front usb is not blank?

Obviously I don't to connect this up and find that it's wrong and will fry something when connected.

Have attached a pic of the parts.

The two top images and one on the right are from the old front usb cable that was on the MS-6511 motherboard.
    Bottom left is the diagram for the usb header on the new PM8M-V motherboard. This looks pretty standard to me, but the old USB cable which was from the OEM board doesn't look right some how.

Any pointers please?

Kevin

Well it certainly wont fry anything. Lash it in it should work.

Just had a read up on front USB problems.

Appears that pins 1-8 are used and 9 & 10 are blank in most cases.

This front usb cable connector is wired 1-3 5-9, 4 & 10 are blank. :confused:

Have been reading up on front usb wiring problems and found the following..

FrontUSBconnectivityguide.jpg?t=1193306330

I have removed the wires from the original connector discovering that there is no ORANGE wire but a PURPLE wire instead. All of the other wires I have postioned in the correct order, as above. The purple wire I have put in the orange wires position.
    Now, I have doubl checked and the purple wire is supposed to be 5v, which is what is needed isn't it? So we should be ok. *Fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

P.S. Is bubble wrap any good as an antistatic covering?
    Maybe that was why it was not working.

Well the question was asked so I'll answer for future ref.
    There are pink bubble type anti static bags , but in general , no , bubble wrap is not for wrapping electronic components , they should be in compatible black and / or silver anti static bags , once in those they can be wrapped in bubble wrap , but never just bubble wrap.

• Advertisement

bubblewrap holds a static charge. So it can kill what ever is in it if you are unlucky.

That's what I was thinking lads. Thanks for the confirmation. ;)

Just did a test using the diagram in my last post, but using the PURPLE wire instead of the missing ORANGE wire in pin position 2.

USB front Port 1 is being reported a fine and works fine. Tested with a USB Card Reader.
    Port 2 is reporting an error, but there is no indication of what the error is.
    Now, the only difference is the colour of the wires as far as I can tell both the orange and purple wires are 5v.

Have registered for the Packard Bell forum (As this cable is from a PB Imedia machin that has been upgraded). Can't log in though even after activating the account using the link in the email. :mad:

That IS a nice power supply I got for my brother in laws pc.

I will be investing in a one myself soon...

Corsair750WPSU.jpg?t=1194263029

Corsair 750W PSU INFO

Should see me through a few upgrades. :D

Advertisement