Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recourse on shoddy motor repairs / replacement job?

Options
  • 06-09-2007 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

My mother brought in her car (Ford Puma) into a local garage here as their was one or two problems with the car.

Both wing mirrors needed to be replaced for one.. and also the car seemed to be spluttering and chugging on occasion.

The wing mirrors they said they could order and they said a simple plug or lead would fix the spluttering and chugging.

A week later, they called her back in with the car and said they'd do the work on it today. She left it with them.. she went back and they fitted two wing mirrors (not even the same colour.. much darker shade of gray on a light silver / gray Ford Puma).

And the plug that they fixed didn't even fix the problem - the car is the same.

All in all - they charged her a nice round fee of 370 euro. 240 of this was on the two wing mirrors which are not even the same colour.

Worse thing is she's already paid it... has she any recourse whatsoever? I'm so angry at it all!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I would say she has. If the mirrors are wrong she needs to go back and say so, hopefully they will be able to sort something. Sounds like a wrong colour code was specified. As for the other problem, definitely ask about it, but if they have to do further investigation she may end up paying for the additional time. Are we talking about a dealership here? All ford main dealers have computers to use on the cars which should identify the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers for that KtK.

She's too much of a walk-over to go back so i'm gonna have to try and deal with the problem for her. She's keeps talking about the mirror that she can have them repainted but for that price each, i would have at least expected them to do that, or get the correct mirrors.

And it's not a dealership unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

You should have gone back to a main dealer in this case - but on this case, you should not have a problem getting this sorted out.

Most garages will subcontract all resparying work to a local firm as the main dealers and small garages would not had the spray booths and equipment on site.

The sub contractors/garage should colour swatch match the paint on the car, as all paint fades overtime. It could be a case that the dealer just ordered in two new mirror units with the original colour.

you should have no problem sorting this out.

Advertisement