Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Sealed for Life" Automatic Gearbox

Options
  • 06-09-2007 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Apparently the Automatic gearbox in my BMW is "sealed for life" meaning that the fluid need never be changed. However, there seems to be some differing opinions on this fact. BMWs stance it all should be ok, but others feel the fluid should be changed say every 60k. Would anyone know best thing to do here. i.e. I don't want to waste money on a fluid change if it's not necessary, but if it's better then I will spend it.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm in the same situation with my A8, as are certain Mercedes drivers. My advice is to have the fluid & filters changed - i've seen pictures online of what came out of relatively low-mileage gearboxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agree, the first thing I did when I got mine was change the fluid - it made a difference. So the idea the unit is sealed for life is ridiculous.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Would like to know what BMW considers as ''For Life'', 15 years??

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Volvoboy wrote:
    Would like to know what BMW considers as ''For Life'', 15 years??

-VB-

Well thats just the thing, "lifetime" is a very relative term. 100K miles is probably a fair figure, but it depends on how hard it has been driven.

Its built-in obsolescence IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Esel

But if it's sealed, how do you unseal it? :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

100K miles is probably a fair figure, but it depends on how hard it has been driven.

Not in a modern car it isn't. Double it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

esel wrote:
    But if it's sealed, how do you unseal it? :eek:

Good question, I'm curious to know. Might get it done with mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Mercedes issued a bulletin last year stating that the auto boxes are no longer sealed for life they said that life meant warranty term on the car. I had the fluid and filters changed on my S320 at 84k miles made a huge difference to the car, unfortunately on that particular car you cannot drain the torque converter so there'll always be a little old fluid in there.

If yer beemer is out of warranty conway transmissions is yer only man, fantastic job and a really nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,077 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've been interested in this myself. The box on my '96 BMW 735 (137k miles) is "sealed for life" as well as are all current BMW autoboxes afaik

Here is a huge poll of BMW owners and their experiences with their autoboxes. Their are mixed experiences and opinions and the jury seems to be out there

I scanned the thread for cars with the same engine / tranny as my car and the vast majority of high mileage cars did not have any issues. Before I read the poll, I was thinking of having it done, but I've since decided against it

My tranny still has silky smooth gear changes. If it hadn't, I would go for the change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

My gearbox is changing smoothly too, but I haven't had an auto bmw before to compare it to. It a '95 525tds with 82k. Should I consider getting the oil and filters changed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If its fine don't bother I'd say. You know if the fluid is tired if you pull the dipstick (assuming its got one) and the contents are dark and/or smelly. The other giveway is sluggish changes where the revs rise for 'too long' before the change happens.

esel - sealed for life is just a manufacturers technical recommendation, the unit still has bolts you can undo.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think dark tranny fluid or burnt smell are a 'walk away' situation. I certainly wouldn't wait until then to change oil/filter. On a '95 car, unless the service history shows a previous change, I personally would be getting it done just for peace of mind. Basically with an auto box the strategy is to avoid/prevent possible problems, or else you could be facing a very large bill at some point.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement