Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which used diesel hatchback?

Options
  • 06-09-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I may soon be looking for another car. I'll be looking for a diesel hatchback anywhere from 1.7-2.0 L engine. I'm not going to go with the overpriced Golf but out of these which would you recommend and why?

Seat Leon,
    Opel Astra,
    Ford Focus.

If you wouldn't recommend any of these then what would you recommend. I'd be looking at a '04 most likely or a bargain '05.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI 115ps. I have a 2003 one, and quite frankly will be happy to drive it into the ground. :) It is great to drive, has enough power to overtake artics on the N8 in 5th gear and has cost me nothing except a few oil changes in the 20k miles I have had it (bought at 60k now 80k).. and it averages about 55mpg over a tank with everyday commuting.

They are very rare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

I'd buy this . I'm currently driving a '04 and love it. Averaging 50mpg, 6 gears, powerful, quite spacious and nice n rare too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Fletch, while that's a nice car and all, I'm going diesel for economy reasons and I'm not looking for anything in the "hot-hatchy" style :) It is sweet though! :sigh:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

I would stay away from the astra friend had one for a bit the rest of the time the local garage had it. Fletch that VRS looks a little cheap there has to be something dodgey with it. I would love one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Fabia TDI 130 is a great choice for economy too - a friend has the same engine in his Golf and can get 65mpg on a run. The Fabia has to be higher than that.

I average 44mpg in my big bus of a BMW 530d Sport, so I'm sure high figures are achieveable in the small cars if you learn how to drive economically.

Skoda Octavia 110bhp from 01/02 would be my choice if you wanted all out economy and cheap running ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Octavia!!

Although the new model astra and focus are lovely little cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I just got back from UK and was driving the new shape Focus 1.8 diesel hatch.....I was very impressed....very powerful engine and great great handling car....
    Seemed VERY well built on the inside aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

Flankerb wrote:
    Fletch that VRS looks a little cheap there has to be something dodgey with it. I would love one.
    Yeh it does seem too cheap admittedly considering there are '04s going for the same money. But with it being such a rare car, its a difficult one to price.

Advertisement