Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking into College in America

Options
  • 05-09-2007 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

How do you go about applying to study in the U.S.? I want to look into it for when I finish secondary school next year. I'm Irish-born so I assume there's all sorts of hassle with Visa? Can you work while you're over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Micko23

Im not too sure about visa issues but what I can tell you is that you will need serious money over there. people i talked to in universites over there had $20,000 - $30,000 debts and were holding down 2 or 3 part time jobs. Remember we are seriously lucky over here when you think of the high percentage of people who can afford to pay the small fees to enter 3rd level described as 'free'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Micko23 wrote:
    Im not too sure about visa issues but what I can tell you is that you will need serious money over there. people i talked to in universites over there had $20,000 - $30,000 debts and were holding down 2 or 3 part time jobs. Remember we are seriously lucky over here when you think of the high percentage of people who can afford to pay the small fees to enter 3rd level described as 'free'.
    well apart from the money does anyone else know what i would have to do to get there (visa, etc.) and what i could do when im there (work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

lots of information on
    http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

you can work on certain conditions. and you do need to show that you can somewhat afford it.
    it helps if you have family already over there, but its not essential.

best thing is to find a course you want to do, apply to the college/university.
    find out the fees etc. and work out how much its going to cost you. dont forget its cheaper to fly when its not summer/christmas.

im doing the same soon, and my flights are looking at about 130 euro one way. thats in october.

as for work, most colleges have employment oppertuanities, but not for everyone. you might not be allowed to work, depends on what the visa says.

visa's take a while to sort out, so dont think you can do it on the last day.
    its best to find the course, apply for it, and when your accepted, then go and sort out your visa, because you will then have the paper work showing your starting the course.

location means a lot. its going to be expensive in big city's, rich areas etc.
    so do a LOT of research before going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

the whole college fees thing is a bit of a misnomer in the US. The fact is that the real expense is the campus accommodation and living expenses. Have you even thought about what you want to study or where you want to go?

There are some Irish in Harvard and MIT but most of them have one US parent so Visa does not come into the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

recently learned that having a parent thats a US citizen doesnt really matter when your applying for a student visa.
    student visa's are given on academic ability.
    if the college accepts you and would like to have you as a student, then they will send you a letter, and all necessary documentation to process your visa.

the main worry when it comes to deciding if someone is entitled to a visa, is down to wether you can afford to go and live in america for 4 years+.
    basically, they dont want you going there, and after a few months needing money and either working part time somewhere, or leaving college and taking up illegal employment.

certain waivers are available when it comes to part time work.
    if the college really wants you, they can stipulate on your visa that say 18 hours a week work is permitted to "fund your needs"

you would be looking at an average of $10,000 a year for full campus board and food. ( 19 meals a week )
    other than that your on your own there, so make sure you have the funds available for the un-expected.

when i decide to go, im budgetting for
    $5,000 a year for tuition fees.
    im not staying on campus, as my aunt lives 10 mins from the college im going to, so i dont need to pay those fees.
    and im putting $200 a week for basic day to day living.
    have a part time job lined up working with my uncle's company ( more of cash in hand situation )

but im still looking to have 10,000 EURO in my bank for those un-expected costs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Seem to have yourself fairly sorted, fair play. I for one would love to study in the US but I wouldn't have the means to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Caoltan

Tuition depends on the university. For example, Harvard is something like $46000 a year, no joke. And to get into Harvard you need PERFECT everything, SATs, Junior Cert, Leaving Cert, extra curriculars etc. Oh yeah, you have to do SATs too. SAT I and 3 SAT IIs. I think they sort out the visa situation for ya but i'm not sure....Good luck with it anyway man!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

If its a state university, they wont have the massive fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

What kind of points do you need?

Advertisement