Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing Charges for Gas and ESB

Options
  • 06-09-2007 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

I was looking at the standing charges on me bills

ESB 12.72 , fair enough, although I might have this one wrong <confusing bill>

Borg Gais: 45.31

In my opinion thats a little unfair as i only used 13.95 of gas for this period, What exactly do we get for this standing charge? They could at least service our boilers for free, is that too much to ask? I would imagine that if we were all serviced regularly it would be more efficient and better for all...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Btw that standing charge is BEFORE V.A.T!!

It is a joke. we usully have the gas turned off for 4-5 months over the spring/summer and use no gas yet still have to pay this huge charge. Why not just abolish it and increase the price of a unit? I suppose that would actually incentivise people to use less.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

There will be some option like that on 1st oct coming in...

www.bordgaisenergysupply.ie

http://www.cer.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

delop wrote:
    I was looking at the standing charges on me bills

ESB 12.72 , fair enough, although I might have this one wrong <confusing bill>

Borg Gais: 45.31

In my opinion thats a little unfair as i only used 13.95 of gas for this period, What exactly do we get for this standing charge? They could at least service our boilers for free, is that too much to ask? I would imagine that if we were all serviced regularly it would be more efficient and better for all...

Anyone have any thoughts?

You're 3 days behind events :)
    The Commission has also reduced the annual standing charge from €308.58 to €56.75.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0903/gas.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

BendiBus wrote:

thats good news, those standing charges are outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Sorry to dig up an old(ish) thread, but the topic is the same...

I received a letter with my latest bill (I'm sure you guys have too) saying that the "small annual charge" is now €56.75, whereas before I was paying €45.31, no matter how little gas I used.

The new tariff structure is now in place and I've been part charged for the old tariff and the remainder of the month for the new one. The second half of the bill shows a "standing charge 22 days at 13.7c/day - €3.01".

Why is this called an "annual charge" if it's included, and I'm paying for it, in each bill?

I don't understand...
    BendiBus wrote: »
    The Commission has also reduced the annual standing charge from €308.58 to €56.75.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ancient1 wrote: »

Why is this called an "annual charge" if it's included, and I'm paying for it, in each bill?

I don't understand...

My understanding is that they spread out the cost of the annual charge over the course of the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Anyone know if the reduction in standing charges is to apply to Flogas as well, or does the CER just have jurisdiction over Bord Gais??

I received a letter with my latest bill (I'm sure you guys have too) saying that the "small annual charge" is now €56.75, whereas before I was paying €45.31, no matter how little gas I used.

You used to pay 45.31 every 2 months? Now you pay 56.75 every 12 (spread over all your bills). About 9.50 per bill instead of 45.31.

I don't have gas but I think that's how the new tariff works.

dudara wrote: »
    My understanding is that they spread out the cost of the annual charge over the course of the year.

That's what I thought as well, but I don't understand why I get bills that show my bi-monthly usage, say €20, for example, then the annual charge @ €45.31 and the total for the last two months showing €65.31.

Perhaps I'm not reading the bills correctly, but I see the totals for every bill and I'm starting to think that something is not right with how this annual charge is supposedly spread out over the year....

(Unless I'm an idiot which is also possible. :p )

That's what I thought as well, but I don't understand why I get bills that show my bi-monthly usage, say €20, for example, then the annual charge @ €45.31 and the total for the last two months showing €65.31.

You used €20 worth of gas.

The annual charge is €308.58 (incl VAT?). One 6th of this is €51.43, less 13% VAT is 45.31.

Does that sound right?

Your total charge would be €65.31, add VAT @13% to give a bill of €78.80

• Advertisement

BendiBus wrote: »
    The annual charge is €308.58 (incl VAT?). One 6th of this is €51.43, less 13% VAT is 45.31.

Bendi, thanks for clarifying that, I geddit now.

I guess what confused me was the wording- I had understood the entire annual charge to be €51.

Yes, totally naive and idiotic to even think that, but not inconceivable when you receive a letter telling you the the "annual charge" is 50 quid. Oh well, lesson learned. :p

Thanks again.

Advertisement