Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noel Fogarty newsreader's odd newsreading style.

Options
  • 06-09-2007 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Noel Fogarty the INN newsreader. What is the deal with this guy.

Anyone ever heard this guy reading the news.
    He has these bizarre voice intonations, rhythms etc in his newsreading style- massive inappropriate pauses between words etc.
    WTF is this all about.

I've noticed he doesn't do it with serious/grave news stories like murders etc, only with less serious stuff like corrupt politicians etc.

It's almost like the extremeness of his speech pattern is a guage of the story's potential for satire.

Surely anyone else who has heard him will know what i'm on about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

This should be in Radio.

Yes indeed, the guy hurts my ears. The posh way he pronounces his name is laughable. Yeah, his stop-start, reeeaaading slooowly... then readingreallyquickly style is utterly jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

He's not a television newsreader, he's on INN - this should be in Radio or News/Media.

It is quite bizarre though. He sounds like an actor auditioning for the part of a newsreader - it all sounds so dramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Originally posted in AH but it was moved to Television. Should've been moved to Radio obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

****ing love him.

he's like our very own anchorman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Never heard him, but I went to school with a Noel Fogarty. Wonder if it's the same guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Love listening to the chap. If I was in the mood for a serious bulletin I'd go elsewhere but there's a fun element to his newsreading alright. I remember his announcement that Dolores McNamara won the Euromillions. He sounded so jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Another thing really annoys me about him is that he always says good morning for the midnight news. I know TECHNICALLY it is morning but since I haven't been to bed yet it really annoys me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

I propose a Noel Fogarty Forum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Love listening to the chap. If I was in the mood for a serious bulletin I'd go elsewhere but there's a fun element to his newsreading alright. I remember his announcement that Dolores McNamara won the Euromillions. He sounded so jealous.

:D I could imagine it alright.

But i think his style just comes across as mocking and disdainful of most of the content he's reading.
    It's like he's saying most of the stuff is the same old crap e.g corrrupt politicians, crap services, the odd stupid parochial dispute etc and only deserving of satire.

I could be wrong but all those crazily long pauses and ridiculous intonations seem to intensify to denote this jaded attitude.

I've never heard him do it if he's reporting genuine tragedies e.g road traffic accidents, murders etc- where it just wouldn't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A news-reader's style should be objective and dispassionate.
    Could one of the lovely TV mods move this to Radio please? Ta...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Pardon bumping an old thread. Just spotted this, didn't know he'd been fired. He used to be a continuity announcer on RTE in the 90s.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/1011/1328597-rte-workplace-relations-commission/

Advertisement