Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for new laptop...Would appreciate some help

Options
  • 06-09-2007 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭

Hey i'm just wondering if i could get any help on this issue and i thought here would be the place to ask.

I have to get a laptop for college. I need something very basic as my budget is already stretched hugely! Has anyone any ideas on something really cheap but still useful??? What would you recommend as the best place to buy a laptop and what type of laptop would be the cheapest/best value? I'd appreciate any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You should be able to get one on dell for about €600 or €700 that will do the job. I'm speccing one up for my sister at the moment for that price so I'll probably post it up here when I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,283 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If you're looking for a very basic laptop, check out the Dell Vostro 1000, it's on their business site... Very reasonably priced...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know what the vostros are like but I put this together for €650 incl delivery and vat.

BASE Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2130 Processor (1.86GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English edit
    HARDWARE SUPPORT Hardware Support 3 Year Next Business Day edit
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display edit
    MEMORY 2048MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024] edit
    HARD DRIVE 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY 6 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (53 Whr) edit
    FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES No Floppy Drive edit

I had to reduce the warrenty to one year to save money though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Thanks so far. So dell seems to be the best place to go?

TommyGunne wrote:
    Thanks so far. So dell seems to be the best place to go?

I would say so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

I don't know what the vostros are like but I put this together for €650 incl delivery and vat.

BASE Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2130 Processor (1.86GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English edit
    HARDWARE SUPPORT Hardware Support 3 Year Next Business Day edit
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display edit
    MEMORY 2048MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024] edit
    HARD DRIVE 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY 6 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (53 Whr) edit
    FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES No Floppy Drive edit

I had to reduce the warrenty to one year to save money though.

If you can afford it or cut back on another part of the laptop, i would go for a 9 cell if its an option. Its not much more expensive and worth in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

tommy, you could even lower the price on that a lot.

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2080 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business
    1 Year Base Warranty
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800
    1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel
    120GB (5400rpm)
    GRAPHICS CARD Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
    9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery

you could ring them and get it cheaper. they would lower it down to 500 id say if you pushed them.

Advertisement