Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavarotti Classic Works

Options
  • 06-09-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

Sad news of his death today. Thought it might be nice to have a thread sharing our favourite works associated with him. I'm sure there will be a lot of popular favourites, but maybe some lesser known pieces that people might have a chance to get to know.

One of my favourites has always been:
    Che Gelida Mannina from La Boheme, particularly the earlier recordings of it.

What are your favs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

it has to be

Nessun Dorma

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sad news for sure, there are only a few singers who can make you spell bound, him and Bocelli are 2 who come to mind.

I was actually listening to 2 of his albums there yesterday, the For War Child and the Together For the Children of Bosnia - Pavarotti and Friends, the songs with Delores O'Riordan and Michael Bolton were 2 decent songs.

But as you said I love his version of Che Gelida Mannina from La Boheme, also Ave Maria and of course Nessun Dorma.

Is there anyone to take his place
    RIP Big man

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

I know he had his critics, but I was always a firm fan of Pavarotti. It is sad news indeed. Curiously enough it would be two years ago to the day tomorrow that I saw him in the Point. He wasn't on top form, but I can always say I saw him live.

"Nessun dorma" is of course the piece that immediately springs to mind when we think of Pavarotti. "O sole mio" is another I'd associate with him, as well as countless others. He will be missed greatly by music fans of every persuasion throughout the world.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I've always felt priviliged that I got to hear him recording live in RTE the last time he was here, which would have been, as Doshea says, abut 2 years ago.

He was in Studio 1 in the Radio building in RTE with the NCO I think (though it could have been the NSO), it was pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

It was very sad news indeed......

as for works by the maestro? Well apart from the more usual repertoire that most people knew, I think aria he sang most beautifully was M'appari from Martha. But the most amazing has to be Ah, Mes Amis from La fille du Régiment. This is from a recording in the late 60s where he effortlessly hit several high C's towards the end of the song. This is what launched him in to real superstardom. Few people today can pull that song off. Roberto Alagna would be one perhaps.

A massive loss, but then he had reached the end of his career, so from that perspective, people were unlikely to see much more of him. The select few would have been coached by him. But his legacy will live on for ever. What an amazing and beautiful talent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement