Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CGT on property sale

Options
  • 05-09-2007 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

My old man has had to stop working recently and since he or me ma now have no income they will need to start cashing in their assets fairly soon. They own a second property which is worth about €500k and were thinking of selling

Any ideas on how much GCT they'll have to pay given that it was bought in the early 90's for £45,000? Also are there any tax breaks available to people who are retiring?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i dont think there are tax breaks im afraid. The CGT rate is 20% on the and unless the property was bought prior to sometime in the early 70's then they will have to pay. They would obviously only pay the CGT on the profit they make and not the entire sale.

full info here.

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/revguide/capitalgainstax.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

would they consider letting the property and using the income to top up their state / other pensions?

if not CGT will be applied on the difference between ((sale price - cost of disposal) - ((Purchase price + cost of purchase i.e stamp duty, solicitors fee's, estate agent, etc) * indexation)

if they spent any money on extending / upgrading the property then that is allowable as well. But not decorating/ maintenance.

Advertisement